Camping at Calenzana?

Francesca Balda...

Posted: Wed, Sep 5, 2018, 15:34

Hi everyone,

I am off to do the GR20 trek next week, my flight doesnt arrive till 3pm in Bastia, and then I have to catch a train to Calvi which wont arrive till around 8pm in the evening on Sunday 9th September. I was intending to get a taxi (or try to hitch a lift) to Calenzana to that evening, so I can start the GR20 on Monday. Will I struggle to get a taxi or a lift that late in the evening on a Sunday in Calvi to Calenzana? I was also wondering are there camping facilities in Calenzana? Also are there places to buy petrol fuel (this is the fuel my stove takes) in Bastia or Calvi?

Finally, I just want to double check that throughout the trek the refuges provide basic (cheap?) food that I would be able to buy and cook on my stove, such as pasta, tinned sauces etc? And that lunch food can be bought at the refuges such as bread and cheese?

Thanks, I really appreciate any information/help,

Francesca

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Sep 5, 2018, 17:01

Hello,
Yes a lot to fit into a tight schedule.
You should be fine for an evening taxi to Calenzana camp/refuge. Fuel from a petrol station on a Sunday is not so easy. My own experience was that many stations just don't open on a Sunday. Camping gas is much less of a problem...Spar shop close to the Camping open early on Monday. Most of the refuge/camping areas have gas outside cooking facilities for campers. You could stock up with food for say three days and then buy more in the Haut Ascu shop for use on the fourth and fifth days...and so on-wards during the journey.
My own approach was to have pasta, muesli and a few tins of fish in my rucksack prior to arriving at Bastia Poretta and then pick up a few items in the Spar shop in Calinzana.
With the very tight schedule after arriving you need to concentrate on getting to the train on time a few Kls from the airport.
See also a very recent post regarding the Sunday Train etc.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Wed, Sep 5, 2018, 17:02

Hi Francesca,

You won't have any problems in catching a taxi in Calvi at 8 pm. They are parked some 50 meters off to the right just outside Calvi railway station. Calvi-Calenzana is 40 euros. (If you find someone on the train headed to Calenzana you will be able to split the cost). Ask the driver to drop you off at the Gite d'Etape (he knows the place) where you'll be able to camp.

Sorry I don't know about the petrol fuel, maybe other forum members will.

Every refuge provides basic hot food, but also have on sale canned food, pasta, sauces etc. Some refuges have more supplies then others and items may vary.

--Michele

Ps
Please DO NOT be tempted to get off the train at U Fiumeseccu Alzeta (GR20) which is a few stops before Calvi. You won't find any taxis or buses there.

SQFP

Posted: Wed, Sep 5, 2018, 17:10

1. There are taxis in Calvi year-round and late at night, especially at the train station/city center.

2. There is a campground and a municipal dorm in Calenzana, they stay open till at least 9pm. And many hotels/campgrounds in Calvi itself.

3. Not sure about petrol fuel at the small shop in Calenzana, however a good substitute ("Essence F" IIRC) may be found at the supermarkets in Calvi, sometimes at gas stations, DIY stores etc.

4. The staff at refuges sell various items (biscuits, noodles, orange juice, tinned fish/sauce, postcards, whatever), and it's of course expensive. Other similarly expensive specialties (cheese, sandwiches...) can be bought at lunchtime too (however the refuges may close for a few hours around noon : patience is a virtue...)

--

Geology in Corsica

Steve Dan

Posted: Wed, Sep 5, 2018, 18:21

There is a filling station in Calenzana, on the main road close to the gite. Open from 7 a.m. I filled up for my multi fuel stove there a few years ago.
Steve.

Francesca Balda...

Posted: Thu, Sep 6, 2018, 9:46

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for your replies! These are very helpful.

Hopefully we will catch the train at Casamozza on Sunday at 5:20pm, and arrive at Calvi at 8pm. If not we will try and hitchhike, has anyone had experience of hitchhiking from Bastia to Calvi?

R.e. fuel situation, we will just camp in Calvi on Sunday night, and make our way to Calenzana on Monday (starting the GR20 trek on Tuesday), with petrol stations/shops definitely being open on Monday. Does anyone know the bus times from Calvi to Calenzana? I tried to find an up to date timetable and struggled.... Also will this bus take me close to the Gite d'Etape?

I was also wondering can maps of the GR20 be bought in Calvi?

Thanks again for all the help- its greatly appreciated!!

Francesca

Michele

Posted: Thu, Sep 6, 2018, 10:22

Francesca,
if your flight arrives at Bastia on time you can easily grab a taxi and ask to be taken to Casamozza train station.
Now - here is an idea - before reaching the roundabout that takes you to the train station ask the cab driver to drop you off here: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@42.520275,9.439966,191.53h,2.29p,0.07z
That is a gas station/petrol station (phone +33 4 95 48 18 91 give them a call to find out if they are open on sundays). If you manage to get the petrol you want from there, then the railway station is only 15 minutes walk from the roundabout (please explore the area with the streetview link I provided).
Jump on the train and get to Calvi on time. Grab a taxi and you'll be at the gite by 8.30 pm. No need to waste another day. You'll be able to start the trail in the morning.

A GR20 map is unnecessary. But if you want to save some money you can download it from the following link: https://www91.zippyshare.com/v/ajjkR74v/file.html

--Michele