hi
are there kitchen facilities to make your own drinks in the huts on the GR20
or only drinks to purchase??
thanks

--

emmaT

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Sep 6, 2018, 14:41

Have only been to the GR20 when busy and very hectic around the refuges. People queuing for stuff including drinks etc. from the shop and others squeezing into places to sleep etc.

The tent is a perfect place to avoid all of this however to make a hot drink, if that is required, there are the outside gas cooking areas.

I would be surprised if there are places to cook your own inside the refuge. In most of the refuges on Corse it doesn't look as if there would be space for this. Quite different if you are used to staying in refuges on the mainland of Europe.

--

Gaffr

SQFP

Posted: Thu, Sep 6, 2018, 15:37

Rules are a bit different at each refuge depending on facilities and availability, but the general rule is: people who sleep in dorms may use the indoor cooking devices (present in many refuges, e.g. Ortu di u Piobu, Manganu...), people who sleep in tents may use the outdoor cooking plates (present at almost all refuges).

Park rules dictate that any paying guest is entitled to use the kitchen/showers/toilets; passers-by are (theoretically) not.

--

Geology in Corsica

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Sep 6, 2018, 15:47

I don't know if anyone has died of old age while queueing to use a refuge stove, but it certainly seems to take forever and it's not worth the time if all you want is a hot drink. On my first GR20 trek I was once faced with such a long stove queue that I bribed someone to get them to throw my food into the pot with theirs. Ever since that time I've taken a lightweight spirit stove. It's just for boiling water and I make sure that all my food and drinks can be made just with boiling water, or just eaten straight from the packet or tin.

Michele

Posted: Thu, Sep 6, 2018, 16:21

I agree with GRRR20. Only once was I forced to stand in queue for the kitchen facilities (PetraPiana) and the guys before me didn't give a s... about those waiting, they just took their time as if they were the only ones. Never again!!

emmaT

Posted: Thu, Sep 6, 2018, 18:23

great
thanks everyone
will be camping so best take my stove for brews for sure

--

emmaT