GR20 North section in 6 days

theprizelamb

Posted: Fri, Sep 7, 2018, 13:45

Hello.

I've booked a trip, last minute, to Corsica in two weeks time. I've just a week off and would like to do the north section of the trail. I fly into Figari on the Saturday afternoon, and will make my way to Vizzavona to start walking the following day. I need to make Calvi by Friday to get the ferry out on the following Saturday. So 6 days of walking.

I've seen some posts here looking for advice to do the entire route in a week, so guess its possible. But just looking to see if there is general advice on this. Will I still be able to do the high routes (weather permitting)? And if I'm running behind schedule, is there a way I can get of the route or get a bus to make sure I make my ferry.

Thanks in advance.

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Sep 7, 2018, 14:04

You can do it if you're tough enough, but try not to combine the stage from Tighjettu to Haut Asco with any other stage. It's hard enough on its own. Bailing out is possible most days, so long as you know where to leave the route, how long it will take to reach a road, and whether there's a bus due when you reach a road. Get that part wrong, and you automatically lose a day waiting for a bus - and maybe even lose two days if a Sunday is involved.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Sep 7, 2018, 21:05

Hello,
As a quick look this seems to be a very tight schedule for the Northern nine stages...maybe.
Since you are in the South with an arrival at Figari would it not be less stressful to get to Porto Vecchio and then up to Conca for a start for the Southern six days? You could 'buy yourself' some time by doubling at least one/two of the Stages? At Vizzavona a train all the way to Calvi through Ponte Leccia.
Of course maybe you have already walked the Southern route?

--

Gaffr

theprizelamb

Posted: Mon, Sep 10, 2018, 16:21

Thanks both.

I've looked into a bit more and pretty happy I can double up on a couple of the earlier stages from Vizzavona and the last two stages (I'm reading Paddy Dillion's guide).

Gaffr: I want to do the north side because I have read its the most challenging, which is what I am looking for. But I now appreciate the what you mean by "less stressful"!

My flight doesn't get into Figari until 1735, by which time I think I will have missed the last bus to Ajaccio.

I think my best bet is to stay in Figari village overnight and get the first bus to Ajaccio the following morning and then the connecting train?

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Sep 11, 2018, 6:35

Hello,
Have you looked at the timetables for bus and trains on the island. You have probably consulted these already.
I guess something that would be important for your itinerary .....is there a bus service from Figari to Ajaccio on a Sunday? There are a couple of trains that would get you to Vizzavona from Ajaccio on a Sunday. If you cannot get to Ajaccio/Vizzavona on a Sunday? the implications might be that a start to walking could be Tuesday.....have I got this right? Monday being used up on Bus and Train?
What would be useful is someone with a greater knowledge of the transport timetables on the island to correct me on this?

Towards the end of the Northern part of the GR20 there is the option of descending to Auberge Bonifatu easily on a good path from Carozzu thus taking two stages out of the journey, if required, however I guess it would then need for someone to give you a 'vehicle seat' to reach Calvi.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Sep 11, 2018, 6:48

Figari is the worst airport to arrive at when you want to get to the GR20 and Sunday is the worst day to try and get any journey accomplished in Corsica. If you can't get where you want to be on Sunday, then it's going to cost you most of Monday before you can start. Finishing on Friday leaves you hardly any time for the route. It's going to be very expensive, but using a taxi on Saturday afternoon could get you another two days on the trail.

theprizelamb

Posted: Tue, Sep 11, 2018, 9:40

I had checked the bus timetables, but hadn't thought about Sunday. From checking the updated timetable there are no buses on a Sunday that will take me to Ajaccio.

This is a real pain in the arse!

I think my best option is to simply hire a car from the airport and leave it in the Ajaccio airport. It will be expensive, but I think it is really my only option that will allow me to get walking as quickly as possible.

When I have been to other places such as Lake Bled and Tour de Mount Blanc there were quite a few companies doing airport transfers. Perhaps taking up to 10 different travelers at a time. I'm quite suprised there isn't a similar option here. But perhaps there isn't the same demand?

Thanks for your help!

SQFP

Posted: Tue, Sep 11, 2018, 10:25

The "Tour du Mont Blanc" is the most crowded hike in France. So, yeah, perhaps Corsica is not the same place, and perhaps few people expect a regular 100km airport transfer service when they land at the wrong airport ;)

--

Geology in Corsica

theprizelamb

Posted: Tue, Sep 11, 2018, 10:45

Hi SQFP - sorry, while I was having a bit of a moan, I didn't mean it as a criticism of Corsica and I'm sorry if I offended you.

But Fiagri is the only airport I can fly to directly to in order to maximise my time in Corsica from the time I get my holidays from work. So, while inconvenient, it is not the "wrong" airport.

SQFP

Posted: Tue, Sep 11, 2018, 12:11

No offense, it's just that each region of the world is different, and despite ongoing globalization one still can't expect to find the same services and culture and facilities everywhere :)
BTW there is a carpooling/carsharing opportunity on Sat. 22/09 from Figari (7pm) to Ajaccio (10pm) - check on blablacar.fr. If booking an overnight stay in Ajaccio, you'll just have to catch the 8:30 train to Vizzavona on Sunday morning.

--

Geology in Corsica

theprizelamb

Posted: Wed, Sep 12, 2018, 11:29

Thanks - I'll keep an eye out!

theprizelamb

Posted: Thu, Sep 13, 2018, 14:25

I have an added complication!

Assuming I make it to the end of the trail by Friday – this will bring me to Calenzona. But I guess this will be in the late afternoon/early evening and expect I will have missed the last bus.

Can I ask how easy/expensive it is to get to Calvi by taxi? In addition, I would ideally like to make the ferry from L’lle-Rousse to Nice at 7:30 on Saturday morning. But the first train doesn’t leave Calvi until after 8am.

Again, how much would a taxi be from Calvi to L’lle-Rousse? Or would it be even possible to get the taxi to from Calenzona to L’lle-Rousse?

Worst case, I can get the train from Calvi to Bastia and get a later ferry from there to Nice.

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Sep 13, 2018, 14:47

I think I paid €35 for the Calinzana to Calvi run, but I think I read on here that it might be €40. There is one taxi based in the village and you see his number on a sign before you arrive. He might be parked in a small taxi stand near the church. If he isn't in the village then he will probably be down in Calvi. If he's busy then you'll have to get one of the taxis in Calvi to come for you. If you're going to be in a rush towards the end, then have all the taxi numbers to hand and start phoning before you enter the village.