September 2018 Trip Report (North to South)

bcnhiker

Posted: Fri, Sep 14, 2018, 6:48

Hi! I completed North to South a few days ago.

Dates: 3rd Sep – 11th Sep 2018 (9 days)
Style: Solo backpacking & camping
Pack weight: 15 – 16kg
Route: North to South, Calenzana to Conca. White and red all the way, no variants.

I've written up a trip report on my blog here: https://bcnhiking.wordpress.com/2018/09/13/gr20-corsica-sep-2018-trip-re...

It was a great experience, I really enjoyed it. Happy to answer any questions.

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Sep 14, 2018, 9:01

A great report, thanks. I'm not surprised your feet were shredded after doubling up on some of the hard northern stages, and especially going from Carrozzu to Tighjettu in a day. Finishing by going from Matalza to Conca in a day, especially on a hot day, is more than I would tackle. I'd want three days for that. It's clear that you'd done lots of preparation, but it's also clear from your kit choices that knowing what to take and what to leave behind is something that only becomes apparent after finishing!

bcnhiker

Posted: Fri, Sep 14, 2018, 9:46

Thanks for your comment GRRR20. That second day was indeed very difficult. I was anxious about weather, i'd heard there was potential bad weather mid-week, so i wanted to finish the difficult north sections before any bad weather hit. At the summits the weather was not great, lots of clouds with disappointing views, but i did manage to avoid the storm, which hit a couple days later. Marching through these initial stages meant i didn't really get much time to appreciate it, which I regret.

On the last day before starting, I knew it would be tough, but I did not expect extreme heat and the last 4 hours was super difficult. I had done training in extreme heat around BCN during the summer, so I was prepared for it, but it's not something i'd recommend doing!

I met people carrying 2.4kg packs and staying in the dorms. I think if i were to do it again, I will still camp, but my pack would be much lighter, closer to 10-12KG. I have learnt lots about the kit choices!

User7911

Posted: Fri, Sep 14, 2018, 12:21

Great report and good job in that time. thanks for sharing. I'm leaving for the trail in a couple days. Did you see many water sources between refuges or is mostly dried up this time of year?

Greg

bcnhiker

Posted: Fri, Sep 14, 2018, 12:53

Hi Greg. Thanks! Yes there were some water sources between refuges. It was still very wet and i think all the sources had running water. I would suggest to check in a guidebook as to where the water sources are and plan accordingly. Personally I carried enough water to make it from refuge to refuge (3L).