Planning for spring

bcnhiker

Posted: Wed, Jan 2, 2019, 8:43

Hello fellow trekkers :) Happy new year.

Since I did the GR-20 in September last year I can't get it out of my head. I've been doing some research to find similar routes and it seems the GR-20 is still the best route for various reasons. (I like the concept of doing some of the high level routes in the Italian Alps but as fas as I can tell you cannot camp and you have to stay in the luxurious refuges, which is not something I want to do.)

So I will be doing the GR-20 again this year, in Spring. I'd like to know from trekkers who have more experience than I, when is the earliest it can be done without winter equipment? It seems mid - late May is possibly the earliest. Is this true?

BTW I'm planning on doing a roundtrip/circular route. I will do North to South, turn around, and do South to North.

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Jan 3, 2019, 6:59

Many years ago I started the GR20 in late May and it was touch and go in some places because of snow and ice. I also met three men on that trip who had made two previous attempts on the GR20 in late May and they didn't get more than one day into the trail before deep snow and sheets of ice forced them to abandon it. So, it might work for you or it might not. It all depends on what you find when you start.

Michele

Posted: Fri, Jan 4, 2019, 9:27

bnchiker,

The "earliest it can be done without winter equipment" in my opinion is late June. There are 2 passes in the northern section that require crampons and ice axe. This past year (2018) in early July they had just been cleared from ice.

--Michele

bcnhiker

Posted: Fri, Jan 4, 2019, 10:09

Hi Michele and GRRR 20. Thanks for the useful responses.

It's looking like doing it in May/early June is risky. My reasoning for wanting to do it early is to avoid the crowds and the overpacked refuges with limited camping spots (eg Refuge de Carozzu), but it seems like the crowds are unescapable due to the relatively short summer window in which it can be done without winter equipment.

It seems the best period to do it to avoid the crowds (in contrast to some info you can find online and in the guide-books) is mid summer: July & August, but I really don't want to it in the heat.

Putting all that to the side, from your experience when is the best time to do it to avoid the crowds?

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Jan 4, 2019, 12:33

It gets quieter between September and October, around the time that the guardians vacate the refuges. Bear in mind that you need to carry food for several days as there are only a few places you can resupply. Once those last few places close, you are on your own. I have visited Vizzavona a couple of times in the winter when everything is closed.

Michele

Posted: Fri, Jan 4, 2019, 13:14

What GRRR20 said. September and October are your best bet. Also bear in mind the weather will be very unstable and unpredictable, with temperatures dropping drastically at night.

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Jan 4, 2019, 19:00

Yes it gets cold in October. Last time I was there in October I loosely attached my jacket under the flap of my pack and lost it God knows where.