Gr20 mid-June, snow conditions - north-south

Artvandelay

Posted: Sat, Jan 12, 2019, 21:59

Friends!

I hiked GR20 south -north before and now I’d like to try the other direction. However I need to set off relatively early (around 13 June). Does anyone have experience with snow conditions at that time? For example around monte cinto I imagine it might be an issue. Do you think it’s ok to go north south or is it more advisable to start in the south yet again?

Thanks everyone :)

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019, 11:51

You probably won't get a definite answer until a week before you depart because no-one can forecast the weather so far in advance. If Monte Cinto is a problem then you can get a bus round it. It used to be possible to check the GR20 Randoblog for information but it has been unreliable for the past year.

Michele

Posted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019, 14:58

Artvandelay,

It's like GRRR20 said. This past year hikers had to use crampons until the last week of June. It all depends if we get an early summer or not. If you start around 13 June, going south-north might give you some more days to your advantage but this won't guarantee a safe passage across Mount Cinto.

--Michele

Artvandelay

Posted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019, 15:08

Thank you for the advice! I am trying to decide whether I should take the risk of booking my flight into calvi, they have cheap inbound flights and the logistics are convenient. Maybe I should go with that, bring crampons and take a detour if necessary even with crampons and poles.

Or I fly in an out of Bastia and decide at the last minute. Oh well, I’ll not burden you with making that decision for me :)

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Jan 17, 2019, 10:02

The PNRC blogspot hasn't given out much since June 2018....usually images and information is given from January onwards.
My own approach to two of the three trips that we have made to the GR20 has been to take the flight into Bastia and then decide at which end to begin the walk. Bus to close to the Conca end or train round to Calvi. Beginning and middle of June from Calinzana….both with a clear run without much snow and the one from Conca was a decision made when I arrived on the island to head South having been well aware that winter was still around before reaching Corse. The trip up to Monti Cintu was made as a day trip from Ascu when travelling from the Calinzana end on the 12th of June 2008 when the snow was very soft and rapidly disappearing.
The 2013 journey, beginning on the 4th, June, from Conca was the one with most the most snowfields....well only from the day up and over to l'Onda and further North. I travelled without any winter kit just poles and good boots but fortunately the snowfields were soft. A very different proposition if there been an overnight low temperature.

--

Gaffr

gordonwills

Posted: Thu, Jan 17, 2019, 23:27

Hi Ive been a bit naïve and booked to fly into Calvi 10th June with the intention of doingGR20 Calenzana to Vizzavona and flying out of Ajaccio 19th June. Planning to carry own tent and camp. Only dates I had available and wanted to do this for so long. I have now seen possible weather conditions. I am a seasoned hiker but don't have crampons. Any suggestions.

--

G Wills

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jan 18, 2019, 7:22

Hello,
You may well be fine for your trip. There are as I have found a variety of conditions to be found in June.
You arrive in Calvi so from there an immediate start can be made. Check in at the Calinzana Gite/Camping maybe you could find out what the conditions are like on the Route from the folks there...there may even be, in an very open early season as we found in 2008, folks who had traversed the route all the way from the South. A useful guide to what is to be found higher up.

I guess that in the most 'wintery' of early seasons the option of travelling along the Mare e Monti route from Calinzana could offer you a walk with from Evisa a bus into Ajaccio....stops outside the camping site there or a couple of days further on the bus to Ajaccio from Cargese.

The route does not reach the higher levels of the GR20...in both altitude or variety of terrain but it does have several days of interesting walking especially the section from Galeria to Girolata and up to the high ground before dropping down to Curzu. From memory the highest area reached on the walk is around 800 metres.

We got the route details from the Topo guide Entre mer et montagne where there are details of five other GR routes. Also keep a watch on what the PNRC folks are showing on the Website...PNRC randoblog.

--

Gaffr

gordonwills

Posted: Fri, Jan 18, 2019, 9:34

Thanks for that response Gaffr, its made me feel a little easier and confident of getting the best out of my time there. Cheers

--

G Wills

annaou

Posted: Thu, Feb 28, 2019, 18:01

Any of you people interested to do the hike starting at the end of June? I did half of GR20 last year, started on June 19th, it was waaay too early to go north-to-south, so I did the other way. By the time I got to Vizzavona, the refuge keepers were still selling crampons for those continuing north because it was still a lot of snow and ice.

--

Annaou