Looking for partner(s) to do GR20 summer 2019

annaou

Posted: Thu, Feb 28, 2019, 13:50

Hi fellows!
I am looking for a partner or partners to do the entire GR20 in the summer 2019. I would like to start during last week of June, but I am open to move my dates a bit. I have done the South part of the trail in the summer of 2018, from Conca to Vizzavona, but had to bail out of finishing the trail for a variety of reasons.
I am open to trek it south to north, or north to south. Either direction has its pro's and con's. Going north to south is a bit more of a common way, there is more traffic that direction, and I found that the markings in better shape facing those who are traveling that way. There are important considerations of how to better pace yourself, when choosing direction, too. Going north to south means that you do the hardest part first while fresh. It also means that you are not warming up to the challenges of GR20. Going south to north allows time to adjust to the trail, make some adjustments to the gear, pace, etc, before hitting the hardest parts. But it also means that you will be trekking the toughest sections while more tired. Also, going north to south means that you are facing sun the entire time (hat helps). But if you plan to use your phone for a map and/or pictures, and to use solar panels to charge it, then putting the panels on top of backpack while hiking is not going to do the trick. Most refuges don't have charging stations!
Regarding pace. I found that it is possible to cover two stages in a day at a few certain points (not many). However, I would like to not be tied up to a tight schedule which presumes that to be done. Main reason for that is the infamous Corsica weather and forecasting system. The best description of the way weather forecasts work on GR20 was given to me by one of the refuge keepers: "-What is the forecast for today? -The weather will be great! All the way until it turns terrible, with lightning, pouring rains, and hail. Make sure you are out of the rocks by then. -By when? -Hmmmm....."
Having done parts of GR20, I met many people on the trail, gathered a lot of insight, experienced my own mistakes, etc, I think I will be a lot better prepared this time. I will gladly share all what I know about gear, refuges, food, trek itself, etc. I am looking to partner with someone who is open to the challenge, whether you have done it before, or never. Thank you for reading my post!

--

Annaou

celin92

Posted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019, 10:20

Hello Annaou,

I am looking for someone to join me in doing the GR20. It would be great to get in touch, regarding myself I am very flexible concerning date so the dates you proposed were fine for me.
Get in touch with me and Ill give you my personal email

Cheers,

Celine

--

celin

annaou

Posted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 9:18

Hi Celine, thank you for replying, I’m excited to get in touch with you! Please email me and let me know a bit about yourself
Thank you
Anna

--

Annaou

annaou

Posted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 9:22

Thanks for praising my effort, Nikey! I covered a number of topics, which one did you find strange?

--

Annaou

SQFP

Posted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 11:12

Don't mind the previous message. This forum is unfortunately crowded with bots posting nonsense spam messages.

--

Geology in Corsica

Michele

Posted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 11:24

Regarding spam bots .... I do my best to remove them and block the offending spammer. Unfortunately the forum owner has CLEARLY abandoned this forum and never kept his promises to install some anti-bot filter. We are on our own, guys, sorry.

--Michele

annaou

Posted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 11:44

Thank you, Michele and SQFP, for letting me know about bots! You’re running a popular forum, of course you’re a target for adds

--

Annaou

C Badge

Posted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 19:39

Hi Annalou,

I'm sorry but I just wondered if you could answer a question. When you did the trail south to north last year, how did you get to Conca? I'm assuming you flew into figari? Thanks so much!!!

Chloe

annaou

Posted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 20:25

Hi Chloe, thank you for your question, I’m happy to share all I know about it! I flew into Nice, then took an overnight ferry to Porto Vechio, and then a bus to Conca. The ferry was nice, inexpensive, me and my friend booked a cabin, it was clean, decent. We arrived early in the morning, our original plan was to take a bus to Conca and then cover first stage on the same day. But it turned out the bus to Conca from Porto Vechio only runs 2-3 times per day, we didn’t realize that, missed the first bus, then had a longer wait than expected, so we got to Conca too late to start the trek on the same day. Stayed there over night and went up next day. Conca refuge is luxurious compared to the ones up on the mountain:)

Annaou

--

Annaou

C Badge

Posted: Sun, Mar 17, 2019, 17:56

Thanks so much for your response, that was so kind! Do you have any idea what the bus times were from Porto Vechio? Thank you! :)

annaou

Posted: Sun, Mar 17, 2019, 18:08

The morning bus was at 8:30am, we missed that one, the second bus was around 3:00pm or maybe 3:30pm. There’s a little bit of a walk from the port to the bus stop, along the coast, maybe 2 miles or so, and the bus stop is not very apparently visible from a distance. I’d recommend arriving in advance, because taxi costs around 100 euros (!) another thing I learned is that the routes’ schedules change from season to season. A friend of mine did the trip in the past, I hoped I could rely on the schedules she gave me, but it turned out the ferrys were running a very different schedule then, same for trains, and busses

--

Annaou

Fienvanstappen

Posted: Sun, Mar 17, 2019, 18:49

Hi Annaou, if you are still searching for Some one to join the GR20, i’m willing to join you! It’s been a dream to walk the GR20 . Shall we email each other and get in touch?
Greetz Fien from Belgium

--

Fien

Fienvanstappen

Posted: Sun, Mar 17, 2019, 18:49

Hi Annaou, if you are still searching for Some one to join the GR20, i’m willing to join you! It’s been a dream to walk the GR20 . Shall we email each other and get in touch?
Greetz Fien from Belgium

--

Fien

annaou

Posted: Sun, Mar 17, 2019, 19:35

Dear Fien, absolutely! Thank you for responding:) I’m hoping maybe we can create a small group of likeminded people? There are plenty of moments on the trail where everyone’s personalities and abilities can enrich (and help) the experience. Please email me at prestoanna@yahoo.com, I’m looking forward to getting to know you!

Anna

--

Annaou