Looking for partner(s) to do GR20 summer 2019

annaou

Posted: Thu, Feb 28, 2019, 13:50

Hi fellows!
I am looking for a partner or partners to do the entire GR20 in the summer 2019. I would like to start during last week of June, but I am open to move my dates a bit. I have done the South part of the trail in the summer of 2018, from Conca to Vizzavona, but had to bail out of finishing the trail for a variety of reasons.
I am open to trek it south to north, or north to south. Either direction has its pro's and con's. Going north to south is a bit more of a common way, there is more traffic that direction, and I found that the markings in better shape facing those who are traveling that way. There are important considerations of how to better pace yourself, when choosing direction, too. Going north to south means that you do the hardest part first while fresh. It also means that you are not warming up to the challenges of GR20. Going south to north allows time to adjust to the trail, make some adjustments to the gear, pace, etc, before hitting the hardest parts. But it also means that you will be trekking the toughest sections while more tired. Also, going north to south means that you are facing sun the entire time (hat helps). But if you plan to use your phone for a map and/or pictures, and to use solar panels to charge it, then putting the panels on top of backpack while hiking is not going to do the trick. Most refuges don't have charging stations!
Regarding pace. I found that it is possible to cover two stages in a day at a few certain points (not many). However, I would like to not be tied up to a tight schedule which presumes that to be done. Main reason for that is the infamous Corsica weather and forecasting system. The best description of the way weather forecasts work on GR20 was given to me by one of the refuge keepers: "-What is the forecast for today? -The weather will be great! All the way until it turns terrible, with lightning, pouring rains, and hail. Make sure you are out of the rocks by then. -By when? -Hmmmm....."
Having done parts of GR20, I met many people on the trail, gathered a lot of insight, experienced my own mistakes, etc, I think I will be a lot better prepared this time. I will gladly share all what I know about gear, refuges, food, trek itself, etc. I am looking to partner with someone who is open to the challenge, whether you have done it before, or never. Thank you for reading my post!

--

Annaou

celin92

Posted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019, 10:20

Hello Annaou,

I am looking for someone to join me in doing the GR20. It would be great to get in touch, regarding myself I am very flexible concerning date so the dates you proposed were fine for me.
Get in touch with me and Ill give you my personal email

Cheers,

Celine

--

celin

annaou

Posted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 9:18

Hi Celine, thank you for replying, I’m excited to get in touch with you! Please email me and let me know a bit about yourself
Thank you
Anna

--

Annaou

annaou

Posted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 9:22

Thanks for praising my effort, Nikey! I covered a number of topics, which one did you find strange?

--

Annaou

SQFP

Posted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 11:12

Don't mind the previous message. This forum is unfortunately crowded with bots posting nonsense spam messages.

--

Geology in Corsica

Michele

Posted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 11:24

Regarding spam bots .... I do my best to remove them and block the offending spammer. Unfortunately the forum owner has CLEARLY abandoned this forum and never kept his promises to install some anti-bot filter. We are on our own, guys, sorry.

--Michele

annaou

Posted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 11:44

Thank you, Michele and SQFP, for letting me know about bots! You’re running a popular forum, of course you’re a target for adds

--

Annaou

C Badge

Posted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 19:39

Hi Annalou,

I'm sorry but I just wondered if you could answer a question. When you did the trail south to north last year, how did you get to Conca? I'm assuming you flew into figari? Thanks so much!!!

Chloe

annaou

Posted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 20:25

Hi Chloe, thank you for your question, I’m happy to share all I know about it! I flew into Nice, then took an overnight ferry to Porto Vechio, and then a bus to Conca. The ferry was nice, inexpensive, me and my friend booked a cabin, it was clean, decent. We arrived early in the morning, our original plan was to take a bus to Conca and then cover first stage on the same day. But it turned out the bus to Conca from Porto Vechio only runs 2-3 times per day, we didn’t realize that, missed the first bus, then had a longer wait than expected, so we got to Conca too late to start the trek on the same day. Stayed there over night and went up next day. Conca refuge is luxurious compared to the ones up on the mountain:)

Annaou

--

Annaou

C Badge

Posted: Sun, Mar 17, 2019, 17:56

Thanks so much for your response, that was so kind! Do you have any idea what the bus times were from Porto Vechio? Thank you! :)

annaou

Posted: Sun, Mar 17, 2019, 18:08

The morning bus was at 8:30am, we missed that one, the second bus was around 3:00pm or maybe 3:30pm. There’s a little bit of a walk from the port to the bus stop, along the coast, maybe 2 miles or so, and the bus stop is not very apparently visible from a distance. I’d recommend arriving in advance, because taxi costs around 100 euros (!) another thing I learned is that the routes’ schedules change from season to season. A friend of mine did the trip in the past, I hoped I could rely on the schedules she gave me, but it turned out the ferrys were running a very different schedule then, same for trains, and busses

--

Annaou

Fienvanstappen

Posted: Sun, Mar 17, 2019, 18:49

Hi Annaou, if you are still searching for Some one to join the GR20, i’m willing to join you! It’s been a dream to walk the GR20 . Shall we email each other and get in touch?
Greetz Fien from Belgium

--

Fien

Fienvanstappen

Posted: Sun, Mar 17, 2019, 18:49

Hi Annaou, if you are still searching for Some one to join the GR20, i’m willing to join you! It’s been a dream to walk the GR20 . Shall we email each other and get in touch?
Greetz Fien from Belgium

--

Fien

annaou

Posted: Sun, Mar 17, 2019, 19:35

Dear Fien, absolutely! Thank you for responding:) I’m hoping maybe we can create a small group of likeminded people? There are plenty of moments on the trail where everyone’s personalities and abilities can enrich (and help) the experience. Please email me at prestoanna@yahoo.com, I’m looking forward to getting to know you!

Anna

--

Annaou

pbpkitty

Posted: Sun, Mar 31, 2019, 21:04

Hi Annaou,
I am looking for some company for the GR 20 this summer. I can start the hike sometime after June 25. My plan is to bike around the island for a week and then do the hike. I want to allow plenty of time to do it, up to 16 days. I have to finish and be on my way home by July 30. My goal is to do the whole route. I don’t realy have a preference whether to hike from north to south or the opposite. Both options have their pro and cons. I have never done a hike as difficult as the GR 20, but I do have experience in multi day backpacking, easy rock climbing, and mountaineering. I have been to France several times. I know enough French to get by. Looking forward to a great experience on the GR 20!

--

pbp kitty

pbpkitty

Posted: Sun, Mar 31, 2019, 21:12

Also, I expect the best weather to be in late June through July. August is too late for me, and reported to be very hot.

--

pbp kitty

annaou

Posted: Mon, Apr 1, 2019, 4:34

Hi Kitty,
Thank you for your comment! Yes, August is too late and reportedly scorching hot. I’m planning to start around last weekend of June. I am very interested to partner with you!
Would you like to email me your contact info, maybe we can talk on the phone, or email each other? So that we can get to know more about each other? My email prestoanna@yahoo.com

Very much looking forward to hear from you!
Anna

--

Annaou

Michele

Posted: Mon, Apr 1, 2019, 13:14

There is a Zello channel for those who want to chat or share experiences regarding the GR20. Just download the app Zello (it's free), register with a nickname, search and join The GR20 experience channel.

annaou

Posted: Mon, Apr 1, 2019, 18:06

Thank you, Michele! This is very helpful, I appreciate very much your taking time to let me know about the channel, going to start using it!
Annaou

--

Annaou

hanana

Posted: Sun, Apr 7, 2019, 9:34

Hello everyone!

I am also interested in doing this hike late June. I haven't done a hike this intense before but you have to start somewhere! I'd prefer to do the hike north to south but I can also see the advantages of hiking south to north. My French is very minimal but I would have been travelling France in May so hopefully that will warm me up.

I have joined the Zello channel.

Let me know if there is place in this group forming :)

Hannah.

annaou

Posted: Sun, Apr 7, 2019, 12:42

Hi Hannah, thank you very much for responding! It looks like we all are currently more in favor of going North to South, and starting the hike during last week of June. We have not formed a meeting group online yet, still in preliminary stages of meeting each other, trying to figure out how to best connect, etc, especially given time differences: our homes seem to be all over the globe! But you’re right, it’s time to form one:)
So far we are all women, of different ages, but we seem to share passionate desire to do all that it takes, to be able to hike the GR20, and complete it safely and successfully! We all have some experience with hiking, just like what you said about yourself. Some are more experienced than others, but no one so far in our group seems to be experienced enough to believe that their skills and fitness level would not be challenged by this trek:)
You’re in the right group!
Please email me at prestoann@yahoo.com so we can start to get to know each other more personally, and connect with others.
Annaou

--

Annaou

june_2019_hiker

Posted: Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 18:50

For what it's worth, I will be doing the GR20 from South to North starting on Friday, June 14th! All are welcome to join me on the trail :)

june_2019_hiker

Posted: Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 18:50

For what it's worth, I will be doing the GR20 from South to North starting on Friday, June 14th! All are welcome to join me on the trail :)

Roy Baines

Posted: Fri, Apr 26, 2019, 20:42

I plan to start from Calvi June 16/17th North to south if knees hold out.
Plan
Travelling light around 13 -14 Kilos +(light Crampons for any possible snow)

5 days supplies of Dried food and porridge top whenever possible or starve ha.
comforts
tent small + roll mat and sleeping bag minus -5 (rated comfort) don't forget (sleep in comfort or suffer day after) this will be my luxury item rather than a sticky toffee pudding I sometimes take on expeditions

small firefly stove and (Colman gas picked up local before setting off)

note(cooking facilities are provided most stages, but no pans are available ? would suggest go to Blacks store purchase a square Tommy tin (army issue) serves as pan/kettle and plate and cup ).
The rest of gear just adds up but will not go over the above limit or Trekking just becomes a pain moving slow with aliments due silly bag weights.
Tip
don't forget a Nalgene 1 litre bottle for boiled water also great used as hot water bottle colder nights.
hope to see all on stages at some time.
all being well will have a smile and completed at Conca on the 1st July or before with a beer or 2,3
don't forget for me its Compass bearing 180deg south others may have other ideas and may need help or like most GR routes done follow the flashes or GPS

--

RB

annaou

Posted: Sat, Apr 27, 2019, 14:10

Hi Roy,
Thank you for posting! And thank you very much for sharing your tips, very helpful!
Your dates are a bit too early for us, we plan to start on June 29th. Our date is set at this point, there are three of us on the team. But if you are flexible with your dates, we’d be happy to connect and see how we all would feel about possibly sharing the trail and going together?

Do you have any tips about where we can store some luggage before starting the trail? I see ppl posting about friendly hotel owners, but nothing so far about any locker facilities...have you come across any information about that?
Thank you!

--

Annaou

annaou

Posted: Sat, Apr 27, 2019, 14:12

Hi June, thank you very much for responding!
We are planning on June 29th as our starting date, going north to south. It’s seems possible that we may cross paths! Given of course that you are not one of those trail runners who finish GR in less than a week:)

--

Annaou

Roy Baines

Posted: Sat, Apr 27, 2019, 20:51

Hi Annaou
Thanks for the reply glad the tips may be useful .
due to work commitments my dates are set for the 16th June to be in calvi and make a start on the 17th much prefer this time as the streams will still be good and clean water.
I am looking forward to it now only 7 weeks to go have got most of my gear ready to pack now.
tips
Boots
I recommend very light ones which stick to the rocks like glue (Inov roclite 325 GTX gore tex) I use there great
Knees
would take at least one support very helpful when coming down also 2 walking poles for sure they take tons of the knees or just use a pair of socks if needs must cut the toes out for knee support.
water again
don't forget chlorine tabs C1 (unless you use a filter) I prefer tabs they are quicker and no fifing about with filters 1 tab per litre after 20 mins perfect. be carful on any water I've seen many ruined treks due to the runs.
rain keeping dry
I use a piece of old fly sheet 80cm x 1.5 meter approx. make a head hole and now you have a poncho. And doubles up as a ground sheet under the tent.
its all about travelling light.
don't know about storage I just go to a supermarket when finished and purchase any needs t shirts ect don't forget make sure you have a rest day at vizavona and take the train to Corte return there is a massive supermarket/ shoping mall 300 meters from the station you can have a frenzy at cheap prices??
after being in the mountains you will only need shorts t shirt and flip flops beach and food at the end no need for storage you will be buzzing.
make sure you stick 1 or 2 hidden sweets in different bag pockets they don't half cheer you up when you find them when during a kit explosion ha

--

RB

annaou

Posted: Sat, Apr 27, 2019, 22:47

Roy, that’s a real golden tip about using an tent fly for rain cover! It’s lighter and more durable than any rain poncho!

--

Annaou

Roy Baines

Posted: Sun, Apr 28, 2019, 7:36

Yep Keeps you on the move + bag stays dry underneath no need for sac cover win win
I saw porters in Nepal doing this thanks must go to them they sure can carry heavy loads some do 90 kgs. don't half put us to shame

--

RB

2019Hiker

Posted: Mon, Apr 29, 2019, 12:56

Hi June_2019_hiker,
As of now I'm a solo hiker but I'd be happy to join. Could you share your itinerary, such as how many days and accommodation you will be using?

annaou

Posted: Mon, Apr 29, 2019, 20:41

Dear friend, thank for posting! Sorry, didn’t find your name. Not sure even if I’m talking to a guy or a gal:)
We are planning to start on June 29th and go North to South, from Calenzana to Conca. Our plan is to not try to finish within certain number of days, but to allow time for recovery after especially hard stages, to allow time for 1-2 fun diversions into nearby burgeries and/or villages; possibly take a detour for climbing the highest peak, etc. We also currently planning to attempt to take all “high routes”, or “alpine variants” which are more difficult (but also more fun than going through forests).
We don’t plan to reserve refuges because we plan on being flexible with our pace, to accommodate for the recoveries and fun. We plan to bring tents, sleep in our own tents in refuges, with a potential of sleeping on the mountain, if we get delayed or caught by bad weather and can’t make it to next refuge. We plan to carry minimal “emergency” food, eat and and resupply at refuges.
We believe that we will finish within 20-21 days, with including all above diversions from hiking straight. But some “alpine variants” make you double the stages, so we may finish quicker.
There are currently 4 people in our team, but two haven’t confirmed yet.
We welcome more people to join, if this plan sounds like it’s what you’d like to do!
Thank you!

--

Annaou

michaelingram

Posted: Sat, May 11, 2019, 15:42

Hi there

Have been reading through the thread, and am also looking to meet people who want to do the GR20 in June. It does feel like it's something which would be easier with others involved.

The Gr20 would be a step up for me, although have done a fair bit of climbing so not phased by that aspect of it, at least.

Michael

SQFP

Posted: Sat, May 11, 2019, 16:19

Just a friendly reminder: in the regional park and surrounding/overlapping wildlife preseves, it is as a rule forbidden to set camp, except in designated areas (official campgrounds, private homes, or around refuges). Such a rule is not intended to bother visitors with fines and regulations; it is to protect hikers and local populations, water resources used by people cattle and wildlife, and above all minimize impacts on the various ailing ecosystems.

I'm not sure how things are organized in other countries but here, anyone is required to plan and organize responsibly so as to comply with rules, or else prosecution is possible. It includes (for example) not taking highways with an empty gas tank, and not venturing on hiking paths if gear/skills/time/weather/length clearly do not allow reaching the next campsite. (I know, it's a pity whenever laws substitute for common sense... too many dumb people acting carelessly, I suppose)

--

Geology in Corsica

annaou

Posted: Sat, May 11, 2019, 17:41

Hi, Geology, thank you for the thorough explanation! No, we do not plan to camp anywhere “wild”. The refuges are set at manageable distances, so with proper planning and preparation it is reasonable to expect to be able reach the next refuge for the camp. Of course, on a difficult trek like GR20 unexpected things can happen, or weather may go “wild” and force hikers to “sit out” below treeline longer than was accounted for...things can happen. Camping “wild” is only an emergency backup plan, in case we are prevented by unforeseen circumstances from reaching a refuge or a bergerie.

--

Annaou

annaou

Posted: Sat, May 11, 2019, 17:51

Hi Michael, thank you for your response!
Currently our start date is tentatively set for June 29th. We plan to do the entire trek as a team, meaning that we commit to “sticking together”, and to making adjustments, if needed, to accommodate each other’s needs. If you’re interested in potentially joining in such a “teamwork” set up, please let me know, and we can connect by phone/email, so we can get to know each other better. But if you prefer to have a flexibility of a line hiker, yet not to be completely alone on the trek, this shouldn’t be a problem either. Because you will be meeting ppl at refuges, and along the path all the time. Some people travel in a tight group like spouses or families, and prefer to keep to themselves. But there are also guided groups going through, other lone hikers, who may welcome a day partner, sometimes groups of friends don’t mind a fellow hiker joining for a stage or a few stages.
Best of luck!

--

Annaou

Anouk

Posted: Tue, May 14, 2019, 6:26

Hey Annou!

Great that you start that chat and that there is now a little Group, doing the GR2o together!I am interested to join you.
I have never been there, so probably it would also be a step for me.so far i only did the GR10 from Andorre to Banyuls sur la mere(not that high) et le Gr221-so i am a bit unsure, if i am expierence enough for the level of the GR20.what would you say makes the Gr20 that ambitious?cause i read some trekkingguides and compare the distance and the "Höhenmeter" to the Pyerenees-and it was below it.is it about the quality of the trails?and another question:at which stages you plane to do the "high level" routes?( than i can look up if there is a low level alternative for me in case i get to nervous :D ) whould be nice to here from you.cheers Anouk!

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, May 14, 2019, 7:10

There are several but the two/three that don't take you too far from the 'usual' route and are perhaps quicker to walk than the lower level trails.

On Stage 8 N-S following the 'par les cretes' ..a fairly straight forward walk along the ridge.

On stage 13 N-S there are a few options ...my preferred one here is to use the camping at the Crocu refuge...rather than heading directly over Monte Alcudina on the same day. Alcudina summit can be easily reached the following day after leaving Crocu from the col above Asinau where you can leave you rucksack and then afterwards return to the col and continue down to Asinau...another refuge that has been wrecked by an earlier fire. Not too difficult from here to get to Bavella and up to refuge Paliri.

On Stage 14 N-S taking the Alpine variant....sign posted...by way of the Bavella towers...basically a walk between the high towers with at one section a large chain to pull on to get past a wee rock pitch.

--

Gaffr

annaou

Posted: Tue, May 14, 2019, 11:12

Hi Anouk,
Thank you for responding! Yes, we welcome more people to join. Our tentative start date is June 29th, we got our flights book for a few days before. Some minor change of start date is possibly, but no more than 1-2 days either direction.
What makes GR20 ambitious? Combination of things, I suppose. I’d say each stage has its own particular challenge: for example a lot of elevation (5,600 vertical feet) over steep and rocky terrain on stage 1, or a similar descent at the end to Conca stage 18 (also 5,600 vertical feet). Or, it may be a full day of scrambling, or, it may be another challenge. I’d suggest Cicerone Guide book for detailed description of each stage, it’s pretty accurate. However it doesn’t describe how you personally will react to those challenges, and some people react with more panic, frustration, rushing through, disregarding the body needs to rest, disregarding bad weather signs, etc, than others, which can make the trek more difficult to finish. Also the weather and the trek condition if icy must be taken with respect which some people may not be able to do if they are on tight schedule. I’d say this trek is a crossbreed between very challenging through hike and some elements of a climbing/mountaineering expedition. It’s true that it can be done without any additional equipment (unless it’s snow and ice in some north stages). But I’d say there’s one piece of climbing/mountaineering “equipment” which is necessary: the attitude of full respect to the mountain. Which includes willingness to adjust to the conditions: get up and start the stage at 3:00am if needed, slow down if needed, “sit out” bad weather if needed, wait for a partner if needed, admit to a partner your weakness if you need their help or need them to wait for you, etc.

There are a number of “variants”, plus a number of additional “sidekicks” up to summits, or down to villages. Some “alpine variants” are probably harder, more technical, but shorter. But it’s a sweeping statement about “harder”: they are more of a different challenge. Again, a good description is in the Cicerone Guide book.

If our dates work for you, please email me and we can connect on a more personal level. We plan to go as a team, care and help each other on the trek.
Best,

MOD EDIT: Date corrected

--

Annaou

annaou

Posted: Tue, May 14, 2019, 11:20

Hi Gaffr, thank you for recommendations and descriptions, very helpful! We will definitely take a closer look at your favorite Crocu refuge option, good to get the tips from someone who knows the trek very well! Will you be trekking the GR this summer?

--

Annaou

annaou

Posted: Tue, May 14, 2019, 11:25

I’m sorry, the start date for our team is June 29th, I wrote wrong in the previous post. It’s not July, it’s June.

--

Annaou

Michele

Posted: Tue, May 14, 2019, 14:47

The refuge Croci is a nice place (good cousine) although with no shade at all (which under a beating sun can be a torture). I found the detour from the old path rather boring and long. With the additional sensation of being somewhat off your typical GR20 route. Next time I'll probably stick to the old trail.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, May 14, 2019, 16:43

Hello Michele,
When I came from the South I kind-of had a feeling that the route from Croci-Mataltza-Bassetta ( hope that I have these the right way round) was not for me anyway I did not travel this route. I knew the route that we took when coming from the North directly over Monte Alcudina….a left turn at a bunch of signposts close to the wee bridge leading to where there used to be some sort of camping area...building? This signpost I simply reached by walking down a track from the Croci berg. and then after a bit reaching Cavallara berg which seemed not to be used? Another track took me to the junction with the old/normal way along the GR20. Simples all the way up to Usciolu by the route that I knew from four years prior.
When coming from the North now just avoid all the signs that would take you firstly to Bassetta etc.
Head for the junction with the sign (right turn here) and look for the direction Cavallara berg. if you wish to reach Croci…..left turn if you wish to go directly over Alcudina.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Tue, May 14, 2019, 20:24

You are right, Roger. When I later took a look at the map I realised I should have taken the much shorter "Cavallara route" that leads directly to Croci without the long detour through Bassetta and Matalza.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 15, 2019, 5:22

Hello Michele,
Something that maybe is missed by many on the jairvan that of the contrasting terrain found on the stages of the route and, for me, to miss out on the Cuscionne section would have been a loss. I remembered this area when coming from the North....and of course the welcome water source beside the path.

However for many folks coming in both directions Bassetta/Mataltza section for accommodation would be ideal. I recall meeting up with a couple of folks in 2007, coming from Usciolu, who wanted to cut short the stage over Alcudina on a very hot day....basically they had had enough...so had worked out a shorter day and stay at Bassetta..always an option.
On the GR20 the options are several and useful during the traverse.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 15, 2019, 8:13

Reply to annaou May 14th,

No appearance in Corse this year....walking in Scotland.
On my wee Blog for the GR20...images of two trips included one from the North and another from the South.
The GR20-gaffr.blogspot .com on the stages between Usciou and Asninao a map extract is included in an attempt to show the relationship of the accommodation available in that area.

--

Gaffr

annaou

Posted: Wed, May 15, 2019, 11:07

Hi Gaffr, I appreciate your comments, thank you for taking time to share!
I tried to visit your blog, but re-typing the link didn’t work...would you mind putting a link in the reply, I’d like to look at your maps and pics?
Thanks you!

--

Annaou

annaou

Posted: Wed, May 15, 2019, 11:10

Hi Michelle and Gaffr, which paper maps would you say are the best? I’m planning to use iPhiGéNie for iPhone with tracking, but thought a paper backup may not be a bad idea?
Thanks!

--

Annaou

Anouk

Posted: Thu, May 16, 2019, 5:56

Dear Annaou,
thanx for your detailed answer.the ciceron guide i allready have read, and from the pyrenees( i also trekk it with the ciceron, for it was the best i could find) i know that trekking isnt just following your plan but adjust to the condition- also there you get very rough and high and the weather become your most suprising partner. anyway- cause i am not that familiar with climbing- i will think about another group/route for this summer.so have a good trip! cheers,Annouk

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, May 16, 2019, 7:46

Hello.... When we first went to the GR we took 1:25,000 maps subsequently the 1:100,000 were just fine..... Two maps for the entire route... The route is marked on that map.
Away in the North of.scotland at the moment.

--

Gaffr