Hiking from Marignana to Cargese

Mummis

Posted: Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 12:57

HI, planning my Monte e Mare nord hike in early April:

has anyone hiked from Marignana to Cargese one day? I think it is a long day, but doable.
I have a quite short day before Marignana; only 5 hours from Ota, but I have not found any options to split these two sections in better way.
How is the route; do I miss something great, if hurrying through?

Of course, depending on weather etc option is to combine Ota-Marignana-E Case in one day, but usually next to cities like Cargese hiking is not so rewarding so I was planning this way.

Making this more clear: I planned to hike day 6 from Ota to Marignana, day 7 from Marignana to E Case, day 8 to Cargese. Day 9 early morning I should be in Ajaccio airport.

From Cargese (during winter schedules in April ) there is only one bus to Ajaccio, in morning; so if I take a stop in E Case, it has to be taxi transfer from Cargese to Ajaccio. So, I was thinking to combine days 7 and 8 to one (day 7), sleep in Cargese and take a morning bus to Ajaccio (day 8).

Thanks!

SQFP

Posted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019, 23:03

Yep, Marignana-Cargese is definitely doable within a day (7 to 10 hours, depending on your pace), the path is pretty good and not overly physically demanding. Few sources along the way though, make sure you pack enough water.

--

Geology in Corsica

Mummis

Posted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019, 6:46

Thank you! This is good information! I am not fast, but can do long days.
This is my first hike in Corsica, I think it is quite different terrain. Good to know your opinion.
I usually have 2 liters water bag and one extra liter in backbag, I 'll make sure to have enaough water for a long day!

desperatedan

Posted: Mon, Apr 1, 2019, 17:33

3 litre should do in April. I walked northern end in August. Some stretches had no water and I went through 5litres a day, very warm

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Apr 2, 2019, 8:01

Hello,
As I recall from our 2008 trip there is a quicker finish out to the road at Lozzi. We chose the re-ascent 100 metres uphill to a wee ruined church and a toppled menir…..nice descent from here down to Cargese. However it is a bit of a trek if you wish to reach the camping at Torraccia.

--

Gaffr

Mummis

Posted: Wed, Apr 3, 2019, 20:25

Thank you - I’ll keep this option in mind! Nice to know there is options!

Mummis

Posted: Wed, Apr 3, 2019, 20:28

I believe August could be hot :). I did AltaVia1 in Dolomites under Lucifer heat couple of years ago, a lot of water every Day..! It seems to be17-20 Celcius and a couple of rain days for me, So easier. Thanks!

Mummis

Posted: Sat, Apr 13, 2019, 20:30

Thank you both! I ended my 7 day hike yesterday. Start from Calenzana, sleeping in Bonifatu, Tuarelli, Girolata, Curzu, Ota, Marignana and Cargese.
Yesterday hike was rain all day, very cool - especially high up after Marignana. Misty and cloudy.. So no views :(
And I was very slow in some areas - route was very slippery in upper sections, and while coming down, since few rainy days.

I was happy to use Lozzi option, thank you! It was still almost 10 hours hike with one lunch break at E Case ( it was closed ). So I did catch my bus in morning

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Apr 14, 2019, 12:28

Good to hear that it all worked out for you.
Was the gite/camping open for business in Calenzana? I am not surprised to find that E Case was still closed....no road access there but then again the only way to reach Girolata is either by foot or by boat.
I guess that all of the other overnights on the Mare e Monti route have visitors, other that walkers, to bring customers to the Gite.

--

Gaffr

Mummis

Posted: Sun, Apr 14, 2019, 14:02

-

Mummis

Posted: Sun, Apr 14, 2019, 13:59

Yes the local said Calenzana gite is open. I did not sleep there because they did not answer my mails, there are some other places too. Supermarket in Calenzana is open 7-7, they sell camping gas etc.

Girolata was also just opening for summer. Route from Galerie to Girolata was great ! Open crest over sea. I would not pass it. If need to shortening, maybe from Bonifatu to Fango ( about one hour longer than Tuarelli, very easy path. Then next day from Fango to Galerie and Girolata. That makes three days to one. (I did it from Tuarelli to Girolata, a long day; Fango Would make it a hour shorter.

I am not sure about E Case, I passed it early afternoon, 13.30. So maybe they are open in evening.

I believe there are a lot of visitors in summertime, both hikers and others, but April seems to be quiet season in all ways, especially during those cool rainy days this week

Mummis

Posted: Sun, Apr 14, 2019, 14:01

-

Steve Dan

Posted: Sun, Apr 14, 2019, 20:23

The gardien for E Case doesn't live on site, but in the the village of Revinda, and arrives on his quad bike to service the gite for hikers who book in advance. If you turn up on unannounced there is unlikely to be anyone there to greet you.
Steve

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 5:16

I would agree with you regarding the Galeria to Girolata stage....we enjoyed that one too despite ending up.in the maquis vegetation. A memorable day out followed by my first encounter with a Dorad fish for dinner at the restaurant in Girolata.

--

Gaffr

Mummis

Posted: Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 12:39

Yes, that's what I expected. Tried to contact E Case by email, but never reached. Nice looking place!