How strict are reservation dates?

PJS

Posted: Sun, Mar 31, 2019, 21:39

We have planned to do the north section of the GR20 with a group of six people in mid june. As we do have some spare time we might want to stay in a refuge for an extra day. We want to be flexible in choosing this day (depending on the wheather and other conditions). But this makes it hard to plan reservations for the refuges. I read in another forum that guardians are not very interested in the exact dates of the reservations a long as you do have one. This strikes me as a bit odd, but it makes life certainly easier.
Does anyone have any experience with this?

--

Peter

SQFP

Posted: Mon, Apr 1, 2019, 1:08

Reservations for dorms or tents are indeed strict, although refundable online under specific conditions.
It is particularly advisable to book in advance during high season (mid-June to mid-Sept) for obvious reasons. Reserving beds or tents, then not showing up is a disservice both to other hikers and to the staff...

This said, showing up with such a large group without prior reservation might still work, provided you reach each refuge quite early in the afternoon, while some beds may still be available in the refuge or at nearby private huts. It's up to you to decide whether you want the extra flexibility at the cost of risking having to sleep on the floor in some cramped, crowded room. You could also try and book online as you hike, e.g. from one day to the next: all it takes is an internet connection (guardians or fellow hikers are helpful ;))

In any case the staff will do their best to accommodate everybody - first and foremost those who have no tent/mattress of their own.

--

Geology in Corsica

PJS

Posted: Mon, Apr 1, 2019, 21:19

That is useful information, thank you.

I would expect that especially when hiking with a larger group it is even more important to book in advance though.

I think I will book the first three nights in advance and from then on we will decide each evening what we will do the next day

--

Peter