GR20 Stages 4-9 in 5 full days, June 1 to 5

jadegolds

Posted: Fri, Apr 5, 2019, 14:18

Hello! I want to do the GR20 stages 4-9 (Haut Asco to Villavona) in 5 full days (fly into Ajaccio May 31 and fly out June 6). I have hiking experience with large ascents, scrambles, etc. Since I haven't booked anything yet, I am also open to reversing this direction or changing things around. I will be traveling as lightly as necessary! Is this trip feasible? How should I split up my days? Thanks!

jadegolds

Posted: Fri, Apr 5, 2019, 14:23

Also, I understand that snow can be a concern during this time. What is the likelihood of that, and what backup plans do I have in case that happens?

Note that stages 4-9 are my preliminary desire because I've heard wonderful things about stages 4 and 7 in particular, and noted that 6 isn't brutally challenging which is in the middle, BUT I am open to hearing suggestions about other stage combinations (I would like to say in the North section, though)!

SQFP

Posted: Fri, Apr 5, 2019, 15:16

Snowfields on north-facing slopes last well into may or june, and sometimes as late as august - it's too early to tell, just check back a couple of weeks prior to departure.

If landing in Ajaccio, I'd go the other way around (Vizzavona to Asco) so as not to waste time in public transportation on arrival, while allowing a few extra days for snow to melt further. Also the first stages in the South-North direction (Vizzavona to Onda/Petra Piana) are a good icebreaker (pun intended ;)) for the more demanding stages (the toughest being Tighjettu to Asco).

Then from Asco, take a bus to the nearest train station (Ponte-Leccia) then a train to Ajaccio.

--

Geology in Corsica

jadegolds

Posted: Fri, Apr 5, 2019, 15:45

Thanks, SQFP! Was wondering, I am a 20-year old woman who has done quite a bit of strenuous hiking, but I have not done any overnight hiking backpacking before. I plan to do an overnight hike in Sierra Nevada, Spain, to warm myself up for this trip. Do you think it's likely that I can stay on target for finishing? If so, how do you think I should divvy up my days, stage by stage? If not, do I have any point along this route I could "bail" in case I get too pressed for time?

SQFP

Posted: Fri, Apr 5, 2019, 17:16

If this is your first time hiking in Corsica: just keep things lightweight, don't rush from the start, and take as much time as needed (... as weather allows). The terrain is somewhat different from other mountain ranges of W Europe owing to unequal slopes, contrasted vegetation, and overall rockiness. A mixture of Pyrénées, Sierra Nevada and Appalachia :)

Five days should be enough. Past the initial stage(s) and once in the right mood, many people double stages at some point - the refuges are spaced roughly half a day apart. At almost every stage it is possible to bail out by just following secondary hiking paths down to a nearby road, car park, or village (then take a bus and/or a train, or even hitch a ride). The most obvious "escape plan" is at the Vergio pass, either take the bus to Corte, or walk down to Evisa and take the morning bus to Ajaccio.

--

Geology in Corsica

Jaca86

Posted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019, 21:08

I don't want to create similiar post so i will just ask here.
I would like to try hiking gr20 from north to south early june. I will only have 5 days. In this time i will try to hike as much as i can. How much snow there will be on the trail ? Is it safe at this time of the year ?
How can i go back from middle parts of the trail to the north of the island ?

--

Jacek

SQFP

Posted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019, 21:24

Snowfields are to expect in early June on north-facing slopes and high passes (Asco-Tighjettu stage for example). Snowfall can happen till late May, better check the weather forecast and snow cover a couple of weeks before your hike (late May). Storms and thunderstorms are common in late May/early June (remember the 7 casualties in 2015?) which could prove problematic if on a tight schedule.

You can leave the GR by bus at Asco (ski station) and Vergio (at the hotel); or by short/easy walks at various points (e.g. to the Restonica bus stop, to the Tattone train station after Petra Piana). There's a train station in Vizzavona.

--

Geology in Corsica

Jaca86

Posted: Mon, Apr 22, 2019, 21:04

Thank you, I quess i will wait until late may and then decide if i will go depend on the weather conditions. So i can go back from Vizzavona to Calvi or Bastia by train?
I've heard that it is hard to travel by public transport across Corsica.
Is there a place where i can buy a gas cartouche for my portable stove ?

--

Jacek

Steve Dan

Posted: Tue, Apr 23, 2019, 12:02

Hi Jacek.
From Vizzavona you can take trains to Bastia, Calvi or Ajaccio. The timetables ( up to June 30th ) can be found on this website.
www.corsicabus.org
A limited variety of gas canisters can be found at the Spar shop in Calenzana. Camping Gaz and Coleman are the most common.
Steve.