Hitchhiking in Corsica

LimeEmil

Posted: Fri, Apr 26, 2019, 8:21

Hi!

I have now realised that when I will arrive to Corsica via Bastia airport tomorrow at noon, I will either have to wait for 3 hours for the train in Casamozza, take a taxi or hitchhike. I am considering the latter.

With some research in my back, it seems like people are generally friendly and willing to offer a seat. The things is that I have nothing to exchange except for money. I do not speak french, even if I tried to learn a little through Doulingo...

Anyways, I came across some tips that might need to be up for confirmation:

1. Don't use the "thumb". My question is why not? Should I just have a board with my destination (Corte) written on?

2. Mainly old people stop to give you a ride. I dont have a problem with that, but as previously stated, I do not speak french.

3. Are people that give rides expecting to get something in return?

4. Is there other good ways to get to Corte from Bastia airport as soon as I arrive? Taxis are expensive, but maybe there is a platform where you can team up and share one?

Thankful for answers!

--

*something clever*

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Apr 26, 2019, 8:59

Hello,
I have only ever arrived to Corse by air on a Sunday so found it not easy to get a lift. Sunday appears to be a family day on the Island....perhaps in the entire Mediterranean area....hence the difficulties with transport on that day of the week. Maybe easier for lifts for you on a Saturday?
I was heading down to Conca so train no help at all.
I tried by asking folks on the aircraft if they were hiring a car at Bastia airport....could they fit me in etc. That did not work. So I walked out to the main road...well the old main road which to reach you cross over the dualled bit of road that I guess now carries most of the traffic down the East coast?
When I reached the old main road I walked up to the turn off for Ponte Leccia/Corte and tried my luck there. I eventually got a lift by a Frenchman who was on the island for a few weeks work but only as far as Moriani. I stayed in the camp site there (useful to have a lightweight tent) and got the morning bus down to the drop off for Conca. Sunday arriving folks can expect usually not to be able to start walking on a Monday.
For yourself what could be worse than taking the navette from Poretta airport and spend some time in Bastia before the train to Corte leaves that was our arrangement when we first arrived to Poretta on a Sunday when we awaited the train going to Calvi .

--

Gaffr

LimeEmil

Posted: Fri, Apr 26, 2019, 9:17

As I wrote, I will arrive tomorrow, which is as far as I know still a saturday! :)
But it is still good to know that sunday might be hard. I also found out that the taxi prices are much higher on sundays.

--

*something clever*

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Apr 26, 2019, 12:24

Hello,
Starting at Corte....does that indicate that you are following the Mare a Mare Nord route out to the West Coast at Cargese?

--

Gaffr