How is the weather looking this season?

doberman

Posted: Mon, Apr 29, 2019, 17:33

Hi guys,

Title says it all. Are we looking at a lot of snow or has it been quite a dry winter as we approach the start of the season?

hungryghosts

Posted: Mon, Apr 29, 2019, 18:01

Hi all,

I'm planning to hike south to north at the end of May. Spring has been very warm in the UK, I'm wondering if snow gear will likely be needed? perhaps it is a bit early to tell.

--

ComfyJ

Posted: Mon, Apr 29, 2019, 18:30

Hi,

I've been waiting for a thread like this to show up!

I'm planning to start on 29-30 of may walking north -> south preferably. Can anyone estimate if the higher altitudes will be covered in snow at that time or if it will be safe to leave Finland without snow-gear? Or just comment the current state, the temperature seems to be a bit below zero at higher altitudes.

Regards
Comfy

Julio Martin Perez

Posted: Mon, Apr 29, 2019, 19:53

Hola!

I will hike N to S at the end of may. I arrive to the island the 20th and go back to Sweden the 4th of june.

I have the same question as Doberman. I read for some time ago (march) that this winter has been very poor with snow but it was a lot of ice.

can Somebody please bring light to my/ours darkness?

One more question: Are all the cabins open in the periode and do they have supplies?

Mercy

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Apr 30, 2019, 5:36

Hello,
The usual information at this time of the year for the GR20 comes through on the PNRC blog....snow conditions with images etc. supplied by the folks in the field...the Park Natural region Corse Rangers.
I have had a look at the site but no information this year, so far, on current conditions.

The earliest that we have arrived in Calenzana was 20th, May 2009 however on that occasion we were travelling on the lower level Mare e Monti route. There were folks at the refuge there for the GR20 route who seemed to be heading for the traverse.
In 2013 I reached the island on the 1st of June and on account of conditions in the North I took the bus down to close to Conca and began the walk northwards...all up and running with snow disappearing fast when I reached the North. This is always an option.
I have got the feeling that this year 20th, of May start could worked out OK for the early starters?
At least you will have a shelter if you are walking without a tent etc.
It all depends on the weather....different opening times at the refuges?...if you look around the Forum the early starters in some seasons have had difficult weather conditions.
On one of our early June starts from Calenzana we met folks, as far as we could understand, who had come all the way from the South.

--

Gaffr

SQFP

Posted: Mon, May 6, 2019, 20:33

Snowfall routinely occur until late May or early June. Last year, after an unusually snowy winter, a last big snowstorm occurred on May 13th.

This year, the last - and unexpected - snowfall was on May 5th (= yesterday), resulting in a couple inches of snow above 1200m elev. There's now a fresh layer on top of old, icy snowfields.

Ask for the snow thickness (and expected snowfalls) here, or on various Facebook groups, 2 or 3 days before your planned arrival; it's impossible to get accurate weather forecasts earlier than that.

--

Geology in Corsica