Mail a package to refuge?

annaou

Posted: Fri, May 3, 2019, 1:54

Hey, folks, does anyone know if we can mail a package with some food items to any of the refuges? Someone in our group has certain food allergies, wondering if there’s any way to handle it other than carry food all along between larger villages?
Thank you for helping out with info!

--

Annaou

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, May 3, 2019, 4:39

Hello... All that I can offer is possibly the places along the route where there is Road access.
Perhaps at Haut Ascu, col de Vergio, Vizzavona, Capannelle, col Verde and at Bavella.
Do these places have Post offices...doubt it. I guess if they could be bothered with doing this? You would have to get addresses etc.
Haut Ascu the only one of these that are run by the PNRC?
The only experience that we have of this is when my wife sent home some items that she did not did not want to carry.... But that was from a village on the M e M nord and from a post office.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Fri, May 3, 2019, 7:03

Annaou,

I doubt you can mail a package to a refuge. Most of them receive supplies either by helicopter or by mule (which would make things even more complicated). And then - like Gaffr said - we don't know the addresses etc.

--Michele

annaou

Posted: Tue, May 7, 2019, 12:35

Hi Michele and Gaffr, thank you so much for your responses and tips! Good to know that mailing stuff is unlikely to be a working solution, very helpful for our preparation. It’s so much better to know before we go than to hope for smth that isn’t there!

--

Annaou

SQFP

Posted: Tue, May 7, 2019, 12:59

Just send your parcels as "Poste Restante" to any post office along the way (beware of very limited opening hours), e.g. in the villages of Asco, Evisa, Vivario etc.

You'll waste many hours (and a lot of energy) not to carry your food, though. In addition to food allergies, does the participant suffer from peculiar weakness? The GR20 may not be for them then.

--

Geologist in Corsica

annaou

Posted: Wed, May 8, 2019, 13:49

Thank you, very helpful! The person has gluten intolerance, but I’m not sure what that means in terms of how strict the diet has to be. I personally have no experience with food allergies at all, I was trying to see if I can find out some helpful information. For me anything edible is fine, it’s calories. I hope I won’t need to catch lizards for food, but I will if I have to:)
Thank you all for the tips!

--

Annaou