FLASH NEWS: The refuge Ortu du Piobbu is ON FIRE!!! 4th May 2019

Michele

Posted: Sat, May 4, 2019, 12:23

I just had news that the refuge Ortu du Piobbu is on fire. I have no words ... this is terrible ... and very upsetting ... :(

https://ibb.co/T4TVgQZ
https://ibb.co/v1XZVvm

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, May 4, 2019, 14:22

Horrendous news for those going without tents....Maybe some sort of temporary structure. Before the season gets going...perhaps.
Catastrophic fires seem to haunt the refuges on the jairvan.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Sat, May 4, 2019, 14:26

This is very bad! Last year it was Asinau, now this. It seems as if someone has an agenda.

--Michele

pbpkitty

Posted: Sun, May 5, 2019, 1:42

Very sad news. Looking at my 2016 cicerone gr20 guidebook, p.57 states that one can trek from Calenzana to Refuge deCarozzu all in a day, and it is an easier way to go. Might be the only way to go if the refuge Ortu di u Piobbu can not be rebuilt this year. I am planning to start around June 29, and won’t be surprised if we have to go direct to de Carrozzu.

--

pbp kitty

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, May 5, 2019, 4:04

Michele.... So the folks in the area of the refuge just happened to be passing by and to take some images?

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, May 5, 2019, 4:16

Hello pbpkitty....yes that is so....you can travel along the first stage of mare e monti nord to Bonifatu where a short distance above the buildings you can reach both Piobbu and Carrozu on different paths. When travelling along this route ten years ago... a couple of years after our first visit to the GR20 we walked both of these paths basically out of interest...before continuing along the MM nord.
If you are using tent and cooking your own food going to Piobbu should be fine... The water supply and the wash facilities are well away from the refuge.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, May 5, 2019, 5:49

Looking on the bright side I guess that sorts out the bedbug problem.

The low level option is bound to be a lot busier until a new refuge is built.

I'm also guessing that Carrozzu is going to get more overcrowded than usual, especially as that refuge is supposed to be rebuilt soon.

Michele

Posted: Sun, May 5, 2019, 7:15

Michele.... So the folks in the area of the refuge just happened to be passing by and to take some images?
Gaffr

Yes Roger, they later met the corsican guide Magali (from altre-cime.com) who posted the pics on her FB page.

The news also appeared on the Parc naturel régional de Corse FB page:

Le refuge d'Ortu di u Piobbu a été détruis dans un incendie aujourd’hui, il ne peut donc plus accueillir de randonneurs.
Nous vous tiendrons informé dès que possible.

They'll probably set up a big "community" tent (like they did with Asinau) as a temporary hosting solution. But don't quote me on that, it's just my assumption.

--Michele

PS
Looking on the bright side I guess that sorts out the bedbug problem.
LOL @GRRR_20

Michele

Posted: Sun, May 5, 2019, 15:52

Here is a google translation from today's edition of Corse-Matin:

Ortu di u Piobbu refuge destroyed by fire in Calenzana

A fire of undetermined origin reduced Ortu di u Piobbu to ashes, the first refuge of the GR20 from Calenzana. There are no casualties. The technicians of the gendarmerie are expected today on the spot.

No casualties but many questions after a fire of unknown origin burned down yesterday, the GR20 refuge. For the President of the Natural Park, Jacques Costa, it is a criminal act

The alert was given at 12:53 pm yesterday. Hikers who passed near the shelter located in the town of Calenzana in Balagne, warned the Fire and Rescue service of Upper Corsica. Unable to deploy the usual means of firefighting, the firefighters dispatched two soldiers from the PGHM and an agent from the Corsica Regional Nature Park on board the Dragon 2B helicopter.

On the spot at the beginning of the afternoon, the rescuers could only note the general conflagration of the structure made of wood. The presence of gas canisters in and around the shelter caused many explosions and prevented anyone from approaching the fire.

"There were no witnesses on the spot when we arrived," says Chief Warrant Officer Antoine Troussel of PGHM de Corte, "but we know that a dozen hikers slept in the shelter the night before. They left it in the morning. "

Fortunately, no casualties are to be announced. The military have established a security perimeter and marked the entrance to the trails to indicate that the first refuge of the GR20 is now out of service. The investigative technicians of the gendarmerie of Calvi, who had to go on the spot yesterday afternoon to make the first observations, were prevented by an unforgiving weather.

They will try again to go on the spot, at dawn this morning, aboard the helicopter of the gendarmerie. Pending their findings and the possible opening of an investigation, no track is officially preferred.

PNRC: tensions at sea, tensions in the mountains

The Regional Natural Park of Corsica, owner of the refuges, was to meet next Tuesday in committee to appoint a guard in Ortu di u Piobbu, between two candidates.

This system set up a few years ago was completed in 2018 by the permanent presence of park agents alongside the caretaker. This co-management led to the resignation of the guardian of Ortu di Piobbu in June 2018.

Would this new organization in the management of the refuges cause tensions? In March 2016, the refuge of Asinau, located in Bavella in the municipality of Quenza, had fallen prey to the flames. The investigation gave nothing.

"I do not believe in the possibility of an accident, says Jacques Costa, the president of the PNRC, whether by intimidation or jealousy, it is not at all brave to attack a shelter. It is all the more regrettable that the shelters are working better since they had been co-managed by our agents, who provide maintenance and receipts. Our proceeds increased by 197 000 € last year. We will do our utmost to welcome hikers to Ortu di U Piobbu from May 15. As planned, we will install a summer kitchen and additional tents. It will be completely rebuilt and enlarged this autumn, it is one of the priorities of the Park along with Carozzu and Asinau. "

The fire at Ortu di Piobbu comes at a time already sensitive for the Park. On Tuesday, the executives of the structure held a press conference in Galeria to make public the threats and the climate of tension experienced by the agents in charge of Scandola's maritime surveillance (see our edition of Thursday, May 2).

Domestic gas canisters in the shelter at the time of the fire prevented rescuers from approaching. The perimeter is cordoned off.  The criminal act is not in doubt for the president of the PNRC Jacques Costa. Here in Galeria, to denounce the threats made to the agents of the Park in Scandola.

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, May 8, 2019, 16:34

There is more news on Corse Matin, and it isn't good -

https://www.corsematin.com/article/article/incendie-du-refuge-du-gr20-le...