Solo GR20

gigiopil

Posted: Mon, May 6, 2019, 18:21

Hi All!
I'm planning the trek, North-South, starting end of May and to arrive on June 15.
Here are my questions, if anybody can help:
Where can I check the snow conditions on the first stages?
Will I need crampons?
Will it be possible to campion the area of Ortu Piobbu, lately destroyed by a fire? According to the guides, the trip from Calinzana to Carrozzu might take more than 12hrs, and that looks quite demanding!
I'm planning to sleep in my own tent and have food in the Refuges for the most part, in order to save weight.
Any other useful suggestion will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Michele

Posted: Mon, May 6, 2019, 18:54

Hi gigiopil,

You can check the snow conditions (and maybe ask questions) in a couple of FB pages: one is "Parc naturel régional de Corse" and the other is "PGHM de Corse".

You will probably need crampons between Asco and Tighjettu and later between Manganu and PietraPiana. Last year there had been accidents and crampons and iceaxe were mandatory even in the last days of June.

If you carry your tent you will still be able to camp in the Ortu du Piobbu area ( I highly recommend NOT to double up the stage).

Up until now we still don't now what kind of services the Park will set up for hikers stopping at Ortu. Therefore at least for the first day I advice to bring your own food.

--Michele

gigiopil

Posted: Mon, May 6, 2019, 20:11

Many thanks Michele!
I definitively don’t want to double the stages, and don’t have any problem to bring my own food.
For the matter I was thinking to have rations for at least 5-6 days.
I will then bring crampons, but I’m thinking to rely on my walking sticks and skip the ice axe, should this be possible.
I’ll keep an eye on the weather, anyway, flying over Corsica, looks like there is quite a good amount of snow!