Crampons N-S

JoshM

Posted: Fri, May 31, 2019, 12:06

I'm off on the 7th June and walking the route North to South. Anyone got any idea about what the weather has been been like and whether crampons will be needed? I'm planning on taking walking poles, but reluctant to take crampons unless absolutely required.

Cheers

SQFP

Posted: Fri, May 31, 2019, 13:26

Unless a sudden catastrophic heat wave hits the island, I doubt the 2-4ft-thick snowfields that are very much present (especially on north-facing slopes) above 6500 ft elev will melt within the next week. At the moment, crampons (and knowing how to use them) are vital. Ice axe is advisable, although walking poles can do if careful.

--

Geology in Corsica

Michele

Posted: Fri, May 31, 2019, 14:52

Actually the only purpose of an iceaxe is to stop you from skidding down if you fall. But that requires some expertise on how to perform such action. If ice is very hard, an iceaxe is highly recommended imho.

--Michele

Kbomb

Posted: Sat, Jun 1, 2019, 3:54

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can pick up a pair of Crampons in Calvi? Feeling prepared, adequately packed with this one exception.

I have been travelling which has made it harder to have purchased prior, however based on your recommendations I would like to purchase.

Thank you.

Kara

--

KT

SwissMountainLeader

Posted: Sat, Jun 1, 2019, 5:38

Self arrest is *one* purpose of an ice axe. They're a versatile tool particularly when moving with a group in steep snow covered ground. Belays and anchors would be the main reason I might carry one at this part of the season which would also require a rope and a couple of slings and carabineers which I would have anyway

--

SwissMountainLeader - Leysin, CH

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Jun 1, 2019, 8:20

Hello.....For those who have some worries about not having the adequate kit to handle the remains of winter on the route there is always the option of travelling the walk from South to North.
You are unlikely to find any snow in the South remaining...so that is around six days plus a couple more from Vizzavona when you may still have to walk on snow....Petra Piana to Manganu perhaps.
Possibly not much more until after Tighjettu through to Haut Ascu where snow could still be around on the North side. By travelling from the Southern end you buy a few days of time for the sun to do some changes to the Snowpack.
I have been on the Northside to reach Cintu on the 12th, June 2008 when Poles were adequate to move on the remaining snowfield.

--

Gaffr

Kbomb

Posted: Sat, Jun 1, 2019, 12:10

Thank you, appreciate the comments. I have already booked all my accommodations for N to S. I will try and find and find equipment on the way.K

--

KT

JoshM

Posted: Sun, Jun 2, 2019, 10:38

Thanks for advice and comments. I'll go with crampons and walking poles.

SwissMountainLeader

Posted: Sun, Jun 2, 2019, 10:43

Crampons without an ice axe is a problematic choice. If you believe that crampons are required for progress then you should really consider some means of self arrest.

--

Michele

Posted: Sun, Jun 2, 2019, 13:32

ditto

StupidPaul

Posted: Sun, Jun 2, 2019, 14:45

We are setting off to walk the GR20 on the 9th June, North to South.

Has anyone any insight into the snow conditions? We have walking poles.

Shall we pack the micro spikes too?

JoshM

Posted: Sun, Jun 2, 2019, 17:02

I think we'll be setting off on the same day. We're planning on catching a taxi from Calvi to Calenzana on the 8th if you want to share one.

StupidPaul

Posted: Sun, Jun 2, 2019, 18:19

Sure, how can we communicate on here? Is there a private messaging option?

When I log off and back on to corsica for hikers there are two tabs, I have clicked 'edit' and then ticked the Personal Contact Form. Have you? If so how can we make use of the tool?!

Michele

Posted: Sun, Jun 2, 2019, 18:28

JoshM and StupidPaul,

some time ago I created a Zello channel called "The GR20 Experience" where all hikers interested in staying in contact with each other can talk. All you need is a smartphone and data connection. Just download the app ZELLO, register with a nick, search and join "The GR20 Experience" ........ and you're done. As long as there is internet connection you have a worldwide coverage and high quality audio.

So there you go

--Michele

StupidPaul

Posted: Sun, Jun 2, 2019, 21:31

Thanks Michele.

JoshM I have signed up to Zello under the same username, perhaps you could do the same so we can finish our conversation?

Cheers,
Paul

JoshM

Posted: Sun, Jun 2, 2019, 22:30

StupidPaul I've signed up as JoshM2019. Tried messaging you but it says "awaiting authorisation".

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jun 3, 2019, 7:28

JoshM, no need to establish a direct contact. Just join "The GR20 Experience" channel and you're good to go (unless you want to have a private conversation that is).

SQFP

Posted: Wed, Jun 5, 2019, 18:34

From FB, a photo earlier today on stage 4 (Ascu-Tighjettu):
https://reho.st/preview/self/b2a8aa789ff5c1426f966ab7c019704509ce14fa.jpg

--

Geology in Corsica

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jun 5, 2019, 21:28

Thanks for that SQFP....the image is the most useful bit of info. in recent times.
I guess fine if it does not freeze too much during the night.....take maybe 2 hrs to reach this snowfield from Haut Ascu.

--

Gaffr

SQFP

Posted: Wed, Jun 5, 2019, 23:42

From what these hikers reported, it depends on the time of the day and gear at hand:
- if you have decent crampons, it's easier to cross such snowfields early in the morning while their surface is still hardened from the night cold;
- if you don't, better wait for that icy crust to melt a bit, only then can you walk safely -albeit slowly- in the slush (sometimes down to your knees...)

Crampons or not, I would never go across such a steep slope without an ice axe (or rock pick ;))

--

Geology in Corsica

bcnhiker

Posted: Thu, Jun 6, 2019, 6:41

Michele, I like the idea of having a channel for real time communications but I'm a little confused on how to use Zello. Have you considered setting up a WhatsApp or Telegram group?

SQFP

Posted: Thu, Jun 6, 2019, 13:41

From FB, new pic, north face of the Cintu (can you spot the hikers?):

https://reho.st/self/62840b6e2d922bca61908cadeedd43b7e672db31.jpg

--

Geology in Corsica

SwissMountainLeader

Posted: Thu, Jun 6, 2019, 14:35

Whatsapp seems a great idea to me..

--

SwissMountainLeader

Posted: Thu, Jun 6, 2019, 14:45

we run a couple of WhatsApp groups for the TMB and Haute Route, more for guides than the public but a great way to share conditions. I could make a GR20 one and encourage people working on the route to join up.

--

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jun 6, 2019, 15:07

Zello and Whatsapp are 2 different apps: although they can do both, one is for talking and the other for writing.

If you're looking for an instant high-quality voice communication (where you don't want to fiddle with a keyboard) then Zello is the way to go. Zello is an app that turns your smartphone into a walkie-talkie.
1) Download the app, 2) register with a nick, 3) search and join "The GR20 Experience" channel and you're all set. You can see who's online and you can start a conversation rightaway (one-to-one or one-to-many, good for groups). Push the big button to speak, release it and listen.

Whatsapp requires someone to invite each person to a group by pre-sharing their phone number. It's a little more cumbersome in setting up the group because you need to be invited and people who may want to join later need to first get in contact with the group starter.

But if you guys feel more comfortable with a written conversation, then go for Whatsapp. Whatever works for you ;)

--Michele

AndreaH

Posted: Thu, Jun 6, 2019, 15:46

Hey Everyone, I've just seen a weather forecast for Mt Cinto - from Sat onwards up to 16 - 18 degrees Celsius (min. +/- 9 and 11 on Monday and Tuesday) + rain.

So, this should remove lots of snow in the coming 5 days, if I am not mistaken? with min in plus it also won't freeze.

Still wondering whether to take crampons.

Can someone who is familiar with the route tell me, if the whole 4th part of GR20 is covered in snow fields?

or are we talking about potentially crossing 1 or 2 snow fields that one can walk through if taking care?

Thanx.

--

AndreaH

SwissMountainLeader

Posted: Thu, Jun 6, 2019, 15:51

I'm not sure a real-time channel works on the GR20. We use WhatsApp for professional users on the TMB and Haute Route so you drop in and out as you get cell coverage. It's so bad on the GR20 that (professionally) we're obliged to carry satellite phones.

Our TMB/HR use is to post conditions, transport questions and so on. I'm not a huge WhatsApp fan but it basically works and mostly because everyone has it.

WhatsApp doesn't work in the quite the way you're saying there, for groups there's a link to join.

Here is a GR20 conditions group. I can share it to other professionals and they'll probably use it but I can't see any of them using Zello.

https://chat.whatsapp.com/Dr84JMbtsR8DSAsvcIGtZ3

If it's any use, people will use it. Or it will die. As the spirits of the internet decide :-)

--

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jun 6, 2019, 16:39

Like I said, whatever works for you guys it's ok. But I can understand that, besides cell coverage, some people don't feel comfortable with verbal communication ( I have some ham history so it's quite natural for me).

--Michele

sara1567

Posted: Tue, Jun 18, 2019, 6:46

I am walking the GR20 south to north starting the 29th June - Can anyone tell me if there is still snow around? Considering taking a small set of spikes to add traction
Cheers

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jun 18, 2019, 8:53

Hello,
Have you looked at the images posted by SQFP on the 6th, June earlier on this part of the Forum.
Also 23 days, plus four days on the route of sun melt to consider before you arrive.
I would think that you will have a safe passage.

--

Gaffr

bcnhiker

Posted: Tue, Jun 18, 2019, 9:28

Follow the messages in the WhatsApp group: http://corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/26131

Latest messages say no crampons/microspikes are required.