Advice with combining stages

sxr

Posted: Sun, Jun 2, 2019, 3:13

Three years ago I attempted the GR20 with a first timer. She quit on stage 1 so we returned to Calvi and took the train to Vizzavona to do the second half. Next month i'll return alone and would like some tips on combining stages. North to South - I've planned out Vizzavona-Conca and will do stages 1 and 2 on Day 1. Referring to the Cicerone guidebook, can I combine any stages from 3-9? I've heard 3 and 4 are not advisable.

Jeff

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Jun 2, 2019, 9:28

Hello..
You just need to have a look around the forum for folks who have reported upon doubling up on stages of the walk.
I guess that if you are carrying full camping kit with tent etc.much more difficult to do than if going lightweight and staying in a refuge each night.

--

Gaffr

Macker

Posted: Mon, Jun 24, 2019, 20:26

On my various trips I've doubled up Piobbu to Ascu, Carozzu to Tighjettu, Mori to Manganu and Petra Piana to Vizzavona.
In the second half only really 'doubled up' Asinau to Conca.

--

David Ellis

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, Jun 30, 2019, 18:14

I've never had the energy for serious doubling-up of stages. Once I climbed Monte Rotondo from Petra Piana and continued asking the high-level 'crête' to L'Onda. Another time I went from Haut Asco to Bonifatu, but that was more like cheating because I didn't want to stay at the crowded Carrozzu and had a comfortable hotel bed instead. In not sure if Paliri to Pedinieddi counts as doubling-up, but I once did that too.