Calenzana to Calvi

Adrian2019

Posted: Tue, Jun 4, 2019, 7:42

Hi, Im going to trek from S to N. The last point is Calenzana.
How can I get to Calvi from Calenzana? Is there a bus?
Thank you in advance
Adrian

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jun 4, 2019, 8:56

Hello.... When we went a second time from Calvi to Calenzana we went by the school bus... Early afternoon having travelled the first time by taxi...an early morning arrival.
What am I trying to say...if you are around in the afternoon it would seem that the returning bus could be a solution?
A few years later arriving in Calenzana from the South I camped overnight there and walked down the narrow Road for a bit and after a bit I received a lift from a gent with truck...down to the big roundabout on the main street into Calvi... Pleasant early morning walk into Calvi for a but of breakfast.

--

Gaffr

Adrian2019

Posted: Tue, Jun 4, 2019, 11:44

Gaffr, thank you for your suggestions. I ll see

bcnhiker

Posted: Tue, Jun 4, 2019, 18:41

I'm gonna face the same problem. My plan is to just walk it. I'll camp overnight in Calenzana, then head off early in the morning and walk to Calvi. Gaffr, can you recommend a nice route to Calvi? Although I don't mind walking on a busy road, I'd prefer a more scenic route if one exists.
I also have 2 backup ideas, in case I'm not up for the walk: 1. I'll get a taxi number for taxis that operate in Calvi. 2. I'll just wing it, catch a lift with someone else, or share a taxi with someone else.

Adrian2019

Posted: Wed, Jun 5, 2019, 6:57

To Calvi there are 14 km about 3 h walking, not much. A walk is a good idea. And maybe someone get a lift.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jun 5, 2019, 8:34

There is also a minor road down to near to the same roundabout, looks more kls.....it joins the road that I walked a little before the roundabout. I found that the road I walked to be narrow had to be aware and get quickly onto the verge when traffic appeared.
For getting out from Calinzana at least it is downhill so a fast pace can be achieved....maybe going up to Calenzana not so good with a laden pack at the beginning of the walk?
Not many folks about on the path into Calvi….early morning. In fact most of the folks that I encountered were the Foreign Legion Troops from the camp at Raffalli out on their early morning running jaunts. Anyway I had a good appetite for breakfast in Calvi and stayed in the town for a good lunch before getting the afternoon train to Ponte Leccia….change here to get the train coming from Ajaccio to Bastia which set me up get off at a small village for the walking into the camping Esperanza close to the sea near to the airport.... plenty to explore here after borrowing a bike...I had another couple of nights at the camping before walking back to Poretta for the flight home.

--

Gaffr

bcnhiker

Posted: Thu, Jun 6, 2019, 6:38

Thanks Gaffr. I plan to chill out in Calvi for a few days so likely I'll do this walk and just take it slow. I've also stayed in the Esperanza campsite in Bastia and plan to do the same for this trip. The owners were nice and friendly and provided me transport to the station in the early morning which I really appreciated.