June 22 N to S, How Cold Does it Get?

deanbrks

Posted: Mon, Jun 10, 2019, 10:46

Hi there,

I'm hiking the GR20 with a friend, going North to South. We are starting June 22nd.

Does anyone know how cold does it get in the mountains?
- i'm trying to decide if i should bring heavy pants and a fleece, or if that's overkill

Thanks in advance for any insight!

deanbrks

Posted: Mon, Jun 10, 2019, 11:01

Just to add to this, the reason i'm asking is the weather reports i've seen have been in the 25 degrees - 12 degrees at night range... but i've read lots of people saying it gets cold at night.

So a bit confused as to what i'm actually going to encounter!

Filip B

Posted: Mon, Jun 10, 2019, 11:35

We also start on 22nd, and had the same question. I presume till then the snow on Monte Cinto is also gone?

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jun 10, 2019, 12:13

Hello....walked the route twice in June....camped, used a two season sleeping bag...if needed I could have just pulled on another layer e.g. a fleece...most of the refuge/camping sites are at around 1200-1600 mtrs. with the highest at close on 2000 mtrs....however I didn't stay at Ciottulu di I Mori.
I generally had good weather warm, clear and with just one day of rain on both occasions.

--

Gaffr

Artvandelay

Posted: Mon, Jun 10, 2019, 14:00

I started the same day two years ago. In the higher altitudes it did sometimes get cold at night - close to 0 celcius I guess. A three season sleeping bag and a fleece did the trick. This year I’m starting one week earlier and I will pack a thin down jacket and a fleece.

Probably the most important protection agains hypothermia is to have proper rain gear (jacket, pants) to put on as an outer layer in case you should have very bad luck and get stuck high up in a rain storm. Imho.

SQFP

Posted: Mon, Jun 10, 2019, 17:22

Climate stats at the highest refuge (Ciuttulu, ca. 2000 m elev.) over the last 5 years:
https://reho.st/self/cd5abbc6666cec8171edfc726a94690000884381.png

As you can see, it routinely gets as low as 5°C in June or even July... and that is without considering moisture and wind.
Altitude is one of many factors, on occasions it may get colder at lower altitudes (e.g. 1°C after midnight at 1000m elev. near Evisa - June 15th, 2015) due to differing pressure and cloud cover in valleys.

--

Geologist in Corsica

DomB

Posted: Thu, Jun 20, 2019, 12:48

Hi
I am also starting on the 22nd June North to South....May I ask how you guys are getting to Calenzana from Bastia airport. Would anyone be interested in Sharing a taxi or is there a cheaper/easier way to get to the start of the GR20?
Thanks
Dom

--

Dom Blakey

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Jun 20, 2019, 16:37

From the airport reach a rail station...a few kls. from the airport ….or take the airport bus into Bastia and get to the rail station. All depends on the time of your arrival by air.
Check Corsica bus and rail timetable on line.

--

Gaffr

DomB

Posted: Thu, Jun 20, 2019, 20:43

Thank you Gaffr
If I land at 11am in Bastia...do you have any idea how long it will take to get to the start line in Calenzana? I presume taxi is fastest and most expensive but is train quick too?
Dom
Ps. Can you get food at all if the refuges or do some only provide cooking facilities?

--

Dom Blakey

Filip B

Posted: Fri, Jun 21, 2019, 4:59

We also start on 22nd of June. How cold does it get? Is a sleeping bag 15° C (59°F) comfort,
warm enough? Is the snow allready gone or are crampons needed?
grtz Filip

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Jun 22, 2019, 6:56

Hello,
As I recall the Saturday train is around 1700 hrs. ….change of times usually around the 30th, June...so should be ok for 22nd. June
Best to take the airport bus into Bastia and to chill until the train departure time....probably have to change train at Ponte Lecchia to the Calvi service.
There are stations in the villages a few Kls. out from airport... Train does not always stop at the small stations. Look at the current timetable online.
As I recall around three hours to reach Calvi.
Taxis very expensive. I have only experience of a taxi ride from Calvi to Calenzana….a few years ago thirty odd Euros.
Not much experience of eating in the refuges. Mostly cooked my own while camping. I have eaten in the restaurants in Haut Ascu, Col Vergio..both at the end of drivable roads. Kind-of stayed away from the very busy refuges apart from paying for the camping. There are also outside gas cooking spots at the refuges.
My observations are that some sort of food is available at the refuges.

--

Gaffr