Best places to buy meals

virrma

Posted: Thu, Jun 20, 2019, 14:54

We are starting GR20 going South to North in 10 days, planning to finish in 14 days. We will be carrying most of the food, but would like to eat a few meals at the refuges. I assume that there are significant differences in the quality on offer. Are there any recommendations on places where we definitely should (or should not) eat?

virrma

Posted: Thu, Jun 20, 2019, 16:20

One more practical question: Can we expect to find screw on gas canisters in Ajaccio or Porto Veccio?

harold

Posted: Thu, Jun 20, 2019, 16:25

Don't know about best places. But if you are carrying your own food, as I (we) did many times, eating the dry-ed meat, rice, whatever food you carry, including breakfast mix only needing some water, all normalised food in any location is just amazing. Special tip: check Gardian du Lac, lac Nino: his pastis made us love Corse!

Macker

Posted: Mon, Jun 24, 2019, 19:55

Its good to eat at some of the huts, just for the company!
Refuge d'Asinau is great, so is Bergeries d' E Capanelle. Choice of places at Vizzavona. My other favourite place to dine is Refuge de Carozzu, overlooking the Cirque du Bonifatu.

Food is available to buy at all the huts, the best shop (Aladins Cave) is at Refuge d'Usciolu. They even sell boots! The cheese and local wine is also good there.

This year was my second GR20 but using all the variants.

--

David Ellis

MrFaulty

Posted: Thu, Jun 27, 2019, 4:15

Llonda has the best vegetarian lasagne, the food is so good it fills up quickly. I walked south to north as well and ate at Verde, Vizzavona and then Llonda. I also ate at Castel di Vergio - okay, but not as good as the others. Vizzavona has a little pub which sells awesome wood fired pizzas!

SteveB

Posted: Thu, Jun 27, 2019, 8:06

If you're starting at Conca you can buy the screw on canisters there, I did last week. They don't have them in porto vecchio and the intersport in ajaccio is a long way out of town

virrma

Posted: Thu, Jun 27, 2019, 20:20

Thanks for all the input om places to eat. I an also very happy to know that gas hcan be bought in Conca. That staves us a lot of stress tomorrow.

We just arrived in Ajaccio, an plan to start hiking Saturday morning. So excited to finally get going!

virrma

Posted: Thu, Jul 25, 2019, 11:08

Again, thanks for all input. In the end, the carrying food for 2 turned out fairly challenging. We ended up eating out of the backpack for all meals until it was empty, and buying meals at the end. The hike was much more pleasant when the pack gotlighter.