Carry batteries for headlamp in flight?

ak02

Posted: Sat, Jun 22, 2019, 15:15

Hi, I have got this headlamp (https://www.decathlon.fr/lampe-frontale-onnight-50-id_8364416.html) which has a life of 25 hours. I am relying on this to be my light for inside tent, too, so on safe side, considering it might not last for the whole trip, I bought extra batteries (LR03-AAA). Now, I am unsure if flight allows them to be inside plane. I have hold and cabin luggage both, so if it is allowed in even one of them, it should be okay.

Anyone has any similar thing before? Experience with flight?

--

- AK

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Jun 22, 2019, 18:29

Hold luggage no problem....well I have had my wee headtorch and spares in the hold several times.

--

Gaffr

SQFP

Posted: Sat, Jun 22, 2019, 21:12

Batteries (NiMH, Li-ion) and most devices containing batteries are forbidden as hold luggage for safety reasons. Just keep your headlamp, electronic devices, powerbanks etc. with you as cabin luggage.

(There are limits on the amount of batteries too, but it's quite a lot IIRC... and not strictly enforced nowadays.)

--

Geologist in Corsica

ak02

Posted: Sun, Jun 23, 2019, 7:35

Two contradicting replies...hmmmm... Hehe, will keep them with me and ask at the airport where they allow me to keep them, I guess. Thank you for your responses, I can at least carry them now, one way or other! =)

--

- AK

SQFP

Posted: Sun, Jun 23, 2019, 19:20

Just read the regulations that ARE mandatorily published by whatever air company you take... Don't do things that are prohibited just because someone else did it once ;)

Forbidden and regulated items are mentioned not only at the company desks, then again at the airport security gates, but also online on their websites, or during online check-in ;)

(And if you read the link I posted, you'll realize why it's strongly advised against having batteries as hold luggage...)

--

Geologist in Corsica

ak02

Posted: Sun, Jun 23, 2019, 19:26

Oh, I think I misread your response. When you said "Just keep your headlamp, electronic devices, powerbanks etc. with you as cabin luggage." I thought you meant batteries, too! Thanks for replying back, I will have a closer look at the airline regulations, and if needed, call them.

--

- AK

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jun 24, 2019, 6:32

Thanks for that SQFP....I will be more careful in future. I guess that I have been a bit lucky when the baggage was checked. Into my hand-luggage beside me in the seating area in future.

--

Gaffr

SQFP

Posted: Mon, Jun 24, 2019, 9:38

Batteries (e.g. "powerbanks") too.
As you know now after reading documentation and regulations, anything that has a battery in it will happily leak (then attack the metallic frame of the aircraft) or self-ignite (then cause a fire in the hold or overhead luggage compartment) for no particular reason.

That's why as a general rule you MUST keep in plain sight and within arm's reach anything that is a battery or has a battery in it (e.g. "powerbanks", headlamp, cell phone, notebook, e-cig, fresh pack of batteries, any item that contains batteries, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.) :) Better safe than killing 150 people.

(There are of course few, specific exceptions to this rule, not really applicable to the casual traveller).

--

Geologist in Corsica

SwissMountainLeader

Posted: Tue, Jun 25, 2019, 17:12

https://www.easa.europa.eu/easa-and-you/passengers/dangerous-goods

Cheap batteries and chargers are a nightmare for providers. We had a fire in one of the UK national centres caused by this:

https://www.glenmorelodge.org.uk/warnings-after-exploding-head-torch-bat...

I think the charging stations in some refuges probably won't catch on, the risk is too high.

--

SwissMountainLeader - Leysin, CH