Rucksack Carriage

JOHN REYNARD

Posted: Sun, Jul 21, 2019, 9:11

Does anyone know of a taxi transfer service for rucksacks on the Southern half of the GR20? I have a concern about my right knee and would prefer not to carry any weight. Thanks!

--

John Reynard

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Jul 21, 2019, 16:39

Hello,
I recall a lady waiting for a group of folks to arrive at col de Verde....she had a van with several sacks in it. There would obviously have to be road access for this to happen.
On the Southern part of the GR20....road up to stage after Vizzavona with the Capanelle refuge.
At the next stopover place Verde. After that no access for other than horses at both Usciolu and Asinau.
Next place with a road is at Bavella.
For a single load this would cost an arm and a leg for these deliveries.
Cheaper to travel light and stay in refuges or hotel...probably cost you a lot less.
I guess that this is something not entirely possible on the GR20 as a service? with so many stopover places having no road access. The Lady I spoke to at Verde I guess was doing the service as part of an all in package deal for the group maybe even having a guide person looking after them?
For this to work you would need two rucksacks ...one being transported and the other to carry you daily needs when walking....at least two/three litres of water and some snacking food and even some clothing for weather changes...first aid kit and other stuff.

--

Gaffr

SQFP

Posted: Sun, Jul 21, 2019, 16:59

I think some companies (Duo Des Cimes?) might be able to organize a whole GR hike with someone carrying all the stuff for you plus in- and out- drives, but as said that would cost an arm and a leg (no pun intended; sorry for your knee). Otherwise, if with a group, hiring a horse or mule might be feasible too. Definitely another kind of GR20 experience.

--

Geologist in Corsica

JOHN REYNARD

Posted: Sun, Jul 21, 2019, 17:04

That's very helpful - thank you very much. I think I'm gonna go for as light a rucksack as possible!

--

John Reynard

JOHN REYNARD

Posted: Sun, Jul 21, 2019, 17:06

Thank you! I didn't think about the horse / mule option but I will now, there are 3 of us

--

John Reynard

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, Jul 21, 2019, 17:30

Gaffr - there's road access to the Bergeries de Bassetta, which is halfway between Usciolu and Asinau. The trouble with ANY transfer is that the road distances are much, much further than the walking distances. Prices would be very high for a single bag, but would work out lower per bag for a decent sized group. I'm sure that (for a price) you could get mule transport for baggage to some refuges. The guy at Usciolu always reckons he can get almost anything to his refuge, given a bit of notice. He gets stuff driven up into the forest above Cozzano, then loads his horses for the final climb.

SwissMountainLeader

Posted: Sun, Jul 21, 2019, 18:08

There's a few companies that do an end-to-end service like https://www.corsica-aventure.com/ who also will book accomodation.

Professionally, we do it ourselves with contracts with local providers. Some Gîte owners do it as a sideline. Otherwise we use local taxi or transport firms.

You'd want to search for self guided trips on Google and you'll find stuff.

--

SwissMountainLeader - Leysin, CH

SwissMountainLeader

Posted: Sun, Jul 21, 2019, 18:08

There's a few companies that do an end-to-end service like https://www.corsica-aventure.com/ who also will book accomodation.

Professionally, we do it ourselves with contracts with local providers. Some Gîte owners do it as a sideline. Otherwise we use local taxi or transport firms.

You'd want to search for self guided trips on Google and you'll find stuff.

--

SwissMountainLeader - Leysin, CH

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jul 22, 2019, 7:54

Yes you have the possibility of luggage carriage between Asinau and Usciolu as I found when I came from the South on a subsequent traverse....at Croci there was a bundle of luggage outside the refuge awaiting the arrival of folks from?.. ..it may not have been from anywhere on the GR20.
Since I did not continue by way of the Bassetta refuge so had no knowledge of vehicle access there... I rejoined the 'normal' route soon after leaving Croci.
So the person does have possibilities to deal with his luggage.

--

Gaffr

JOHN REYNARD

Posted: Tue, Aug 13, 2019, 15:45

Thank you very much Gaffr, SwissMountainLeader, GRRR 20 and SQFP! I received many more helpful replies than I expected.

--

John Reynard