General Queries

Aussie_Hiker

Posted: Thu, Aug 1, 2019, 4:03

Hi All,

I am starting the GR20 in a couple of weeks and there is a couple of queries that I cannot find definite answers for so I’m hoping someone can help me out!

*I’m planning to use my own tent for the duration of the walk. Do I need to book the individual sites in advance?

*Do I need to pre-book transport (Bastia-Calvi/Calvi-Calzenzana) or am I safe to purchase a ticket on the day?

*Is there an issue with ticks (lyme disease etc) or are bed bugs the main concern?

Cheers!

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Aug 1, 2019, 5:01

Hello... For using own tent at the overnights/refuges just turn up... Contact the person at the refuge...pay the fee and then find your pitch...useful to arrive early
Bastia is the terminus for the train so turn up buy a ticket at the station....usual to change the train at Ponte Leccia.

Not had any problems with insects....not ever stayed in a refuge...always seem full to the rafters.:-)

--

Gaffr

MrFaulty

Posted: Fri, Aug 2, 2019, 5:57

Just make sure your tent is able to be truly free standing as this will make life much easier. No ticks over there (well not that I encountered), but suggest this late in the season you will get bedbugs if you stay in the huts.

My opinion, walk south to north, take a solar panel so you can charge appliances and walking this direction should help. Also, when I got to the end going south to north, I remember thinking that I would hate to be faced with the ascent on day 1 walking from north to south.

It's an awesome experience! by the end of day 2 you might be hoping for some cataclismic event to prevent you continuing but once you get to the end of day 3 your legs shoud be feeling a bit more used to it.

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Aug 2, 2019, 6:47

All of the above, but I would like to get Monte Cinto behind me before feeling that the hardest parts were over.

Walking downhill from Piobbu to Calinzana is ten times better than climbing uphill.