Bivouac des Pozzi

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Aug 28, 2019, 9:18

Some online maps show "Bivouac des Pozzi" at the Bergeries des Pozzi. I never heard of anyone camping there. Has anyone ever camped there or seen anyone else camping there? I'd like to camp there but it seems like a long walk off the GR20 if camping isn't available. It would also be useful to know if the Bergeries offered food.

SQFP

Posted: Wed, Aug 28, 2019, 21:17

It's primarily a farm ("bergerie"), neither a campground nor a hostel. Don't trust amateurish maps and other misguided guides ;)
In case of need, whenever it is not staffed, or if invited to, you may sleep indoors there - however not camp outside for it is within the Park's limits.

You can eventually watch the farmers make fresh cheese - and buy some - when the farmers are there.

--

Geologist in Corsica

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Aug 28, 2019, 22:05

Thank you SQPF. I'm glad I asked before going there. It looked like a campsite on some maps but not on others, and I know the rules about camping in the PNRC. If the weather is good I would like to go over Monte Renoso but of course I won't be camping at the bergeries.

Michele

Posted: Sat, Aug 31, 2019, 13:20

GRRR_20,

I was there last year. I stopped by after having done the Mount Renoso bid. The berger is very nice and friendly, they produce fresh brocciu cheese (not the smelly type) and brocciu yogurth (both excellent!!) The place would be fantastic for camping but it's forbidden and the berger is also very adamant about it. I don't think they sell anything else besides dairy products.

Here is a short video I shot (in Italian). https://www.facebook.com/michele.custodero/videos/a.10212775540682640/10...

PS
Coming from the south it would be more convenient to take the left path you'll find after crossing the Rousseau de Marmano. It takes you straight to the plateau de I Pozzi
https://postimg.cc/LJFkk1jJ

GRRR 20

Posted: Sat, Aug 31, 2019, 17:29

It sounds like it's worth the visit just for the dairy products, and I would like to go over Monte Renosu if the weather is good.

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Sep 10, 2019, 21:12

A pity, but the guy had given up making stuff this late in the season. A stunning area in good weather. Monte Renosu was hard work.

Michele

Posted: Tue, Sep 10, 2019, 22:18

Tough luck they had stopped production when you passed by!! You definitely must return during the summer months.
I don't remember the mount Renoso path to be particularly difficult (although we did it north-south).
I was particularly excited because we found an unofficial cairned way that took us down at the very beginning/northernmost of the higher plateau de I Pozzi.

--Michele

SwissMountainLeader

Posted: Thu, Sep 12, 2019, 16:59

"unofficial cairned way"

Mostly built by guides from Cloud Nine ... You're welcome :-)

--

SwissMountainLeader - Leysin, CH