Gr20 in 12 days

kikidee

Posted: Thu, Sep 5, 2019, 15:08

Hi there,

I will start the GR20 on 16th September and have 12 days. I will go from North to South.
In your opinion which parts of the route can I do two stages on one day. I am interested in your opinion, or your experience.
/ I am in very good physical condition, 32 years old, my bag will be maximum 12-14 kg. / I do not have more time unfortunately.

Thank you for your answers

--

Kiki

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Sep 6, 2019, 7:45

Hello,
I have no experience of doing more than one stage in a day....have done the route in both directions.
But I am an old pensioner and just happy to do one stage in a day.
By going from N to S if things are not going to schedule it is possible to get out and back to Bastia? by train.
If you look around the forum you will find some details of those doing double stages (and more) in a day.
The only time that I have been in Corsica during September, on a cross country route E to W, the weather was pleasantly warm. Our only contact with the GR20 was when we crossed it at the bocca di Laparo.

--

Gaffr

User7911

Posted: Fri, Sep 6, 2019, 8:39

If you're in VERY good physical condition and have hill experience 12 days is plenty time for the whole route. I did it last year in 10, could have pushed harder but wanted to spend more time in the hills and the last refuge - can't remember the name, is a great place to stop, highly recommended. Nice views, campsite and friendly host, with a cat:) Enjoy!

User7911

Posted: Fri, Sep 6, 2019, 8:56

IMO every stage can be doubled, however Refuge de Carrozzu to Bergeries de Ballone or Tighjettu is fairly intense, best to get an early start.

I did have the advantage of a light bag, 5 or 6 kilos. You can eat at the refuges and use their tents, saves carrying gear and food. I only brought a very light summer sleeping bag.

hubertc

Posted: Fri, Sep 6, 2019, 9:23

i did the GR20 in 12 days a couple of weeks ago, I was carrying a 11 kilo pack, I wasnt in a hurry.
just did not feel like waiting the rest of the day at a refuge , when i arrived there at 11 oclock in the morning.
i'm 58 years old but pretty fit, so dont worry.
forget about doubling up the first 4 stages, stage 1 is easy ( took me 4 hours) , but stage 2,3,and 4 are pretty tough so not really suited.
I doubled up stage 2 and 3, that was not funny....

later in the trip it is easier to combine stages
7 and 8 can be combined,
so can stage 9 and 10 , using the variante , and avoiding the trip down to vizzavova.
13 and 14 can be combined , using the old GR route,
and stage 15 and 16.

but expect to adjust your planning, depending on your fitness , and the weather.

kikidee

Posted: Wed, Sep 11, 2019, 16:03

Dear All,

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.
I am planning to start early each day and combing later stages.

User7911 - what was your ruote plan? Thank you!

My other problem that there is no bus from Calvi to Calenana on Sunday 16 September. Do you have any other idea to get there?
Thank you!

Kiki

--

Kiki

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Sep 11, 2019, 16:45

Taxi or walking... Can't think of any other way apart from hitching?

--

Gaffr

hubertc

Posted: Thu, Sep 12, 2019, 12:05

it is a 3 hour walk from calvi ( or from the airport) to calenzana
a coupe of weeks ago we paid 35 euro for a taxi to take us from the airport to calenzana
the walk up is not recommended at night.

Michele

Posted: Thu, Sep 12, 2019, 7:19

From Calvi railway station they charged me 40 euros last year.

kikidee

Posted: Thu, Sep 12, 2019, 11:18

Thank you. I see it is 12 km. I will think about to walk..
I wrote a post at the taxisharing topic. Maybe I can share with someone.

Thank you for all of you! :-)

--

Kiki

kikidee

Posted: Thu, Sep 12, 2019, 11:18

Thank you. I see it is 12 km. I will think about to walk..
I wrote a post at the taxisharing topic. Maybe I can share with someone.

Thank you for all of you! :-)

--

Kiki