60k maps sufficient for north half?

Oreocereus

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 6:41

Obviously I’m aware of the IGN 25k series. Which I am fond of for hiking in France.

But I saw there was a 60k series for Corsica, by Didier Richards. The most recent discussions I saw of them mentioned them being out of print a few years ago and lower printed quality. But seem to be in print now (fairly sure the published date I saw was 2019) and the printing quality seemed fine.

1:60k is far lower than I’d usually use, but given this is a fairly well marked route (normally I don’t simply follow a gr and make my own routes with a bit of off piste walking), the lower weight and price(!) it’s tempting.

Has anyone used the 2019 1:25k and/or Didier Richards 1:60k 2019 maps for the north half of the gr20 - any thoughts or notes?

I don’t like using guide books, and prefer maps for a better overview of escape routes should weather turn, someone gets ill etc.

SQFP

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 9:36

Never heard of a 60k map, especially by Didier Richard ed. that would arrive this year; even the French National Library does not know about it (yet?). Would you kindly share a link?

In Corsica a 50k map is neither detailed nor precise enough for leaving the beaten paths in case of emergency; actually, even the last 25k edition (2018) is not overly reliable. However for "regular" hiking on the GR, old 50k or even the 100k 'Top 100' series are good enough to get a grasp of features, secondary hiking paths or localities.

--

Geologist in Corsica

Oreocereus

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 11:26

Yeah that’s my fear. I plan to do “regular” hiking on the north half of the gr20, but I do prefer a map reliable enough to escape the tops in case of poor weather, etc.

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Corsica-North-Didier-Richard-08_9782723476713

Oreocereus

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 11:26

I found it in a shop here in marseille yesterday. From memory the print date was 2019.

SQFP

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 12:37

It's the usual map from 2010, maybe a reprint? A good compromise if you can't buy the 50k (1995, reprinted in 2000, ISBN 2117900208, see here to compare)

--

Geologist in Corsica

Oreocereus

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 12:40

Looks like you may be right. I didn’t see a 50k there, but wasn’t looking for it.

Would you generally advise a 25k map? It is my usual preference for mountainous terrain, though I use a 1:50k map in Scotland (larger more open terrain) and on easy coastal walks never civilisation.

SQFP

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 13:47

The 25k maps are great for venturing off path yes... only in their 2000, 2008, or 2012 editions (known as "Top 25" or "Série bleue"); these old maps still to be found in bookstores, on eBay etc. The newest revision from 2018 looks prettier, at the expense of some topographic info or accuracy.

The two 25k maps covering from near Calenzana down to Vizzavona are 4250O "Corte / Monte Cinto / PNR Corse" and 4251O "Monte d'Oro / Monte Rotondo / PNR Corse". Their variants with an -OT suffix are functionally equivalent, with the addition of extra Tourist info.

--

Geologist in Corsica

Oreocereus

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 13:49

Thank you. Unlikely to venture off path except in case of emergency... maybe I’ll download the 25k “free trial” on both our phones for the week for emergency..

SQFP

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 15:19

Btw, the newer edition can be visualized for free at the Geoportail website, or you can use their "GeoPortail Mobile" app on a smartphone...

The old (2008) edition along the GR20 is here.

--

Geologist in Corsica

Oreocereus

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 14:15

Thanks. I don’t like relying on tech for nav, but with two phones that’ll be off most of the trip, I think it’s probably a reasonable back up for “emergencies” (given I know that loads of people don’t even take a map on the gr20... which seems crazy to me).

GRRR 20

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 20:17

The whole GR20 at 50k on one small map, by Didier Richard - https://www.auvieuxcampeur.fr/mini-corse-gr20-1-50-000-e-didier-richard....

Oreocereus

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 20:57

I didn’t see that one, but it appears to be available in the marseille shop! Looks ideal.

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, Sep 22, 2019, 6:29

I'm at the airport at Bastia and they have a box full of them on sale for €6.99. I got my own copy a few years ago at the airport at Ajaccio. They seem to be widely available and are well used on the trail. It save carrying lots of maps and the tiny size means you can carry them in any pocket.

I'm flying home and the rain is absolutely hammering down! I really wouldn't want to be on the GR20 today. There are going to be some very wet trekkers today who don't even get to see the scenery... unless it's just raining at the airport!

SwissMountainLeader

Posted: Sun, Sep 22, 2019, 20:19

There are two different maps both by Didier Richard. A small yellow one at 1:50k of the whole route and a 1:60k in two parts.

Neither are brilliant for precise navigation nor particularly accurate in the location of some liaisons and nearby trails.

The 50k is great for what it is

--

SwissMountainLeader - Leysin, CH