Three days from vergio

Oreocereus

Posted: Tue, Oct 15, 2019, 15:56

I hiked the first 3 days with my partner last week, but we stopped because she struggled with her knees. We’re on the coast now and going to do our own thing for a bit. I wanted to finish the north section solo, but it looks like the weather will deteriorate from this Saturday. Long range forecast doesn’t look good.

So I’ll probably just do another 2-3 days. I’m not far from albertacce, so I’ll start there tomorrow. Which direction would you choose for 2-3 days from here?

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Oct 15, 2019, 17:17

Hello.... You should reach Vergio from Albertacce by following the Mare a Mare Nord route... I used this when on this route ten years ago.
After Vergio a day to get to reach Manganu or if things are going pear-shaped you can down to Sega refuge and down the Tavignana path to reach Corte.
Weather still OK then onto Petra Pianu and beyond to Vizzavona... Option by taking the lower route to L'Onda to walk out to the train...
Winter still not arrived then L'Onda to Vizzavona....train service both directions.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Oct 15, 2019, 17:20

If you're actually walking from Albertacce, then it only takes a few hours to re-connect with the GR20 at the Bergeries de Ballone. If you have a great weather forecast, then you can head north to Haut Asco, and from there straight to Bonifatu - but don't do it if the weather is really bad as it will be miserable and more dangerous, crossing Monte Cinto. If you head south from Ballone, you can reach Vergio without much difficulty, and the next day is pretty easy to Manganu. After that, though, you've used up your days and it's still going to take a long days walk to bail out to Corte, or a short walk to Soccia, followed by hitch-hiking or a really expensive taxi, as there are no buses.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Oct 16, 2019, 6:18

Hello.... From what I recall....the gentleman was walking the route from N to S.
Of course I could be wrong? Anyway you can still reach the Bergeries Vallone and then turn left to get to Vergio...less direct.
Take care out there.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Oct 16, 2019, 12:42

Hello... Instead of bergeries Vallone I should have said bergeries Radule to reach Vergio.
Of course if it is Northwards you are travelling then Vallone would be your objective from Albertacce.

--

Gaffr

Oreocereus

Posted: Wed, Oct 16, 2019, 17:38

Actually, south or north is both an option. I asked In a bit of a hurry last night, but didn’t get a chance to get going today. Tomorrow it is.

IAM not in albertacce but it’s one of the closer towns to where we are now (portu ota), so was using it as a reference.

I think heading to albertacce then north might give more options for bailing out? Is either section more of a must see? Climbing Monte Cinto was something I looked forward to but not an essential milestone by any means...

Oreocereus

Posted: Wed, Oct 16, 2019, 17:47

But I think going north from Vergio might be best? Less technical (as far as I can tel from a glance) if the weather should come in, a few sections look closer to towns + vizzavona will be easier to hitch out of than Asco at this time of year I think? Asco was reasonable to hitch from last week, but it was the dregs of tourist season and no one has much reason to go up to the stationnow

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Oct 17, 2019, 6:36

Hello.... Must say I am a bit confused

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Oct 17, 2019, 6:41

Hello.... Have you looked at on this forum the recent post from a person travelling N-S and the comprehensive list of what facilities are closed or open during his walk.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Oct 17, 2019, 6:42

Hello.... Must say I am a bit confused

--

Gaffr