Similar hike to GR20 in Europe?

JPowellzy

Posted: Mon, Dec 30, 2019, 12:07

Hello,

This is a request for similar hikes to the GR20 in Europe (preferably reachable by train from the UK in 1 day or so.

My friend and I hiked the Northern section of the GR20 over 8 days in 2017 and loved it so much and would like a hike of around a week or so that is similarly difficult but amazing!

We are in good fitness and camping is fine and we will be carrying our own food probably but in a cheaper area may be nice.

Any recommendations welcomed!

Thanks in advance,

Jacob

--

J

Michele

Posted: Mon, Dec 30, 2019, 16:59

That's a very good question, Jacob. In fact I believe it's very difficult to find a multi-day trail as amazing as the GR20 with its ever changing and stunning landscape.

But, since I haven't walked that many trails, I too am curious to know the answer.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Dec 31, 2019, 7:56

Hello,
I would agree with Michele....probably an incomparable trail done in its entirety ....the southern section although not as rough as the Northern sections has generally longer days out walking and has its own treasured passages when following the several 'high level' alternatives....however the long easier passages are very memorable in greener terrain and with much flora.
I have only been to a couple of the celebrated alternative routes on the route between Lac Leman and the Mediterranean GR5...each of them of duration around a week of interesting walking but not as rough as the GR20.
I came to the GR20 when retired and had been to several of the 4,000 metre peaks and several brilliant lower peaks in the alps in earlier years. I would say that many of the 'hut-walks' up to the refuges offered many great days out. As a multi day trip at high level that between Zermatt and Zumsteinspitze following the frontier ridge between Switzerland and Italy and back down to Zermatt via the Grenz glacier is a grand few days out in the high mountains.
Since you are in the UK what about the many multi days that can be had out in the hills of Scotland.
Many multi day routes can be concocted within the terrain....with nowadays there are several multi day semi organised walking routes.
Although a single day out scrambling the Skye ridge is a very worthwhile route but does require a bit of extra technical kit...the route can be split into more than a one day trip with some high level bivouacs.
The Walk Highlands site may give you some ideas within the highlands?

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Dec 31, 2019, 8:24

I don't know if a comparable trail either. There are plenty of long trails that have a short section comparable to the GR20, but none of them are consistently like the GR20. The Selvaggio Blu on Sardinia is much tougher than the GR20 and is really only for rock climbers, is you want something MORE challenging.

Michele

Posted: Tue, Dec 31, 2019, 8:41

GRRR20,

I've done the Selvaggio Blu in Sardinia (I did a documentary video also) and I was fairly disappointed: in fact I think that trail is overrated. It's a seven-day walk but the wow effect ends pretty much after the second day when you realize the trail is just about the same: every day same landscape, same sea to the right and same "hills" to the left, same vegetation. Period. I was getting bored.

--Michele

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Dec 31, 2019, 13:11

Maybe there's a walkers version, but the one I was shown was all about rock climbing and abseiling off overhanging cliffs. It definitely wasn't a walking route. There was no accommodation, but you had to take a sleeping bag and bivvy wherever you could.

Michele

Posted: Tue, Dec 31, 2019, 16:15

That's the one. It's really not that difficult, trust me. There are 4 or 5 rappels to be done but that doesn't involve rock climbing (a couple of scrambles maybe). https://vimeo.com/57301698 <---- if you feel like watching an hour video :)

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Jan 2, 2020, 10:06

4 or 5 rappels... OK... that's me out!