Advice needed on a hikingtrip, the GR20 in Corsica

BentleyAshton

Posted: Mon, Jan 13, 2020, 12:49

So in september a friend and I (2 Belgen) are going to Corsica on a hiking trip. We're planning on finishing the GR20.

We're going by plane to Nice and from there on by ferry to Corsica. We don't know yet how exactely we'll get to the start of the route, or from the finish back to the ferry, but we have an entire day and a half to figure that out on the island.

Who has done this before? Any advice on means of transportation once in Corsica or on the route itself?

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jan 13, 2020, 14:18

You'll probably arrive at the port of Calvi from Nice? From there you'll reach Calenzana either by bus - 2 runs a day (see corsicabus.org for timetables), or by taxi (just outside the railways station - 40 euros per ride).

At the end in Conca you'll need to reach S.Lucie de Porto Vecchio by shuttlebus run by Le Tonnelle Camping. From there take the bus connection that runs from Porto Vecchio to Bastia and jump off at Casamozza. Finally at Casamozza you want to get on the train that runs from Bastia to Calvi.
Again check the timetables on corsicabus.org.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020, 7:51

Hello...There are alternatives when arriving to Nice by air....coming from Scotland this was our approach to the island. A couple of times we took the ferry from Nice to Bastia after which it is an easy walk to the railway terminus up one of the streets...than train with a change at Ponte Leccia to then travel to Calvi….as Michele directs using the bus or taxi to the start at Calenzana.
When reaching Conca as Michele says ….bus journey but this time all the way to Bastia for the ferry back to Nice.
The ways to reach the island are several. We used the flight to Bastia Poretta a couple of times and also travelled by the ferry from Nice to Calvi...very handy for reaching the start of the GR20 at Calenzana.
On that occasion we did part of the GR20 and switched to the MM Nord finishing at Cargese and took two buses from there back to the Calvi ferry.
From what I recall the ferry that we boarded in Nice dropped off passengers in Calvi and then went on to Ajaccio ….maybe wrong but possibly this service to Calvi is no longer available?...I think that it was 2009 when we travel on this service.

--

Gaffr

BentleyAshton

Posted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020, 0:39

So in september a friend and I (2 Belgen) are going to Corsica on a hiking trip. We're planning on finishing the GR20.

We're going by plane to Nice and from there on by ferry to Corsica. We don't know yet how exactely we'll get to the start of the route, or from the finish back to the ferry, but we have an entire day and a half to figure that out on the island.

Who has done this before? Any advice on means of transportation once in Corsica or on the route itself?

issue solved!

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020, 9:35

Well at least we presented you with a few alternatives.... Inteteresting to know which one was useful for you.?

--

Gaffr

SQFP

Posted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020, 20:42

FYI Calvi is no longer served by ferries (since 2016).

--

Geologist in Corsica