What to expect from the GR20 this coming summer with this virus emergency

Michele

Posted: Thu, Mar 5, 2020, 16:30

The 2020 season will start in about 3 month's time and I can't help but wondering what will happen to our beloved trail with the current pandemic.
The trail has always had its hygienic problems since its inception (of which everybody is aware but Paddy Dillon) but now with the spreading of this coronavirus a red flag will be raised. I guess sleeping in a dormitory will be a huge no-no, but also a concentration of so many people in the same places (i.e. the camping areas) might be an issue.

What do you guys think?

SQFP

Posted: Thu, Mar 5, 2020, 21:37

Putting into balance both the (current) knowledge about the disease and the physical condition of most hikers, I doubt hiking the GR20 would prove more hazardous than, say, any public transportation anywhere else...

--

Geologist in Corsica

GRRR 20

Posted: Sat, Mar 7, 2020, 8:24

What would I expect?

Fresh air, great scenery and a great time.

I'm hoping I can manage at least a week in the trail, but I might not have the time. I don't like the refuges so any chance of picking up anything nasty are hugely reduced. I've seen nothing yet to scare me off transport and I don't subscribe to media hype. I never have and I never will. I'm capable of forming my own opinions based on the facts. I should point out that I've already been in areas where the virus has been recorded, passed quarantined sites, flown in aircraft and travelled by trains and buses. I'm still here and I'm looking forward to carrying on as usual. I haven't been panic-buying. I won't be going on a 'prison ship' cruise so I have nothing to fear from being stuck onboard.

While the hygeine arrangements in the GR20 could always be improved, you have to agree that the new toilet blocks are superb. When I entered one of them last summer, I would have cheerfully eaten a meal off the floor!

Michele

Posted: Mon, Mar 9, 2020, 19:50

I agree with you GRRR20. As long as people stay away from refuges and crowded places they should be fine.

hubertc

Posted: Tue, Mar 10, 2020, 11:39

I think the typical GR20 hiker has a above average health,
i would not hesitate to hike this summer.
the hardest part will probably be to reach corsica, as a lot of flights might be cancelled.