Booking with a company

Serenity69

Posted: Thu, Mar 12, 2020, 15:50

Hi all. I’m looking at doing the GR20 next June 2021. Do I need to book through a company? Or can I just turn up, with my own gear, tent included, and walk the route with a friend? I’m hoping to camp in the area of the huts. As I would like to eat there. And shower. But I’m not worried about booking the huts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

--

Neil

Michele

Posted: Thu, Mar 12, 2020, 16:25

Hi Explorer,

You don't need to book through a company. Just turn up with your gear and walk the route. If you carry your own tent there is no real need to reserve a pitch. Once you reach the camping area you will pay for your camping spot and you're done. Since you also want to eat, you will have to inform the gardien of your need.

--Michele

Serenity69

Posted: Wed, Mar 18, 2020, 6:57

Thank you Michele. Is there a chance I may not be able to get food or a camping spot if it’s busy? Also. Am I able to buy camping gas when I arrive? As I cannot bring it in the plane.

--

Neil

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Mar 18, 2020, 12:45

You will always be able to get food and a camping spot, but the choice of food might be very, very limited in some places, and some of the camping spots are pretty bad.

Serenity69

Posted: Thu, Mar 19, 2020, 6:28

GRRR. How do you mean the camping spots are bad? Very lumpy? Wet? Noisy? Smelly? I’m happy to eat any food that may be available. I’m not expecting a large variety of food.

--

Neil

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Mar 19, 2020, 7:29

The best camping spots have hire tents pitched on them all summer. The second best camping spots get taken by whoever gets there first. The later you arrive, the more likely you are to end up with a sloping or rocky pitch where is difficult to get good placement for pegs. Your groundsheet can easily get shredded by coarse granite gravel so you need to protect it by getting something else onto the ground first. And yes, it can get crowded, and you might end up with a bad pitch beside the toilets or a smelly rubbish bin. I eat anything, so the limited choice of food at some refuge stores doesn't bother me. One night I had to settle for an expensive tin of sardines, a packet of stale biscuits and a bar of chocolate. That's all they had, although if I'd ordered a meal I could have had soup, pasta, bread and cake. Some refuge stores have a much better choice.

Serenity69

Posted: Fri, Mar 27, 2020, 8:54

Thank you. I was also wondering if I can get any camping gas there. I have a MRS Pocket Rocket Deluxe. And would need to get some gas for it. So at least I can cook some food if I need too.

--

Neil

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Mar 27, 2020, 15:17

You should check out gas supplies at the earliest opportunity. If your first point of arrival is close to a big town such as Bastia or Ajaccio, then start looking there. But the time you reach Calvi you get less choices, and once you're at Calinzana it's the Spar shop or nothing. They may or may not have the gas you want, and even if they usually stock it, they might have sold the last one. You take that risk. The refuges sell gas, and if you can't get the right cylinder there, you can use their external gas stoves for free. There's not need to be stuck without the means to cook, but you must take your own pans if relying on the stoves at the refuges.