Northern section in 5 days

Emerald

Posted: Mon, Jul 6, 2020, 17:40

Hi there, my husband and I are looking to hike the northern section, north to south, in August in 5 days. We are both young and fit with experience of mountain hiking outside of europe.

We were wondering if this itinerary looks feasible, or if anyone knows a better alternative for our time frame?

Calenzana - Refuge de l'Ortu (one etape)
Refuge de l'Ortu - Refuge Haut Asco (two etapes)
Refuge Haut Asco - Refuge Ciottulu di Mori (two etapes)
Refuge Ciottulu di Mori - Refuge de Manganu (two etapes)
Refuge de Manganu - Vizzavona (two etapes)

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you!

--

Emerald

desperatedan

Posted: Mon, Jul 6, 2020, 20:40

You could , but why the big rush , take your time and enjoy it. I assume you are travelling with a very light pack. I carry about 15kg including food and water. I couldn't imagine doing it so quickly and enjoying it at that speed. However there are people who do it quickly , each to their own. Part of the walk is meeting same people each morning and Evening and developing a trail friendship. Doubling up you meet different people every day so not as much fun in my opinion

--

Desperate Dan

Michele

Posted: Tue, Jul 7, 2020, 9:56

Emerald,

Your schedule is more in tune with runners' activity rather than hikers'. However many people have fun (?) in doulbling up their stages.
Anyway, I warn you that doing Haute Asco - Ciottulu is REALLY tough given the fact you have to make a very long ascend and descent. In fact it's common opinion that that stage should never be doubled. Your call.
If I were you I would stop at Tighjettu (or Ballone) and the next day I would go from there to Manganu taking a shortcut at Bocca Foggiale down the valley (in order to skip Ciottulu altogheter). A very long but easy route.

--Michele

Emerald

Posted: Tue, Jul 7, 2020, 11:44

Dan & Michele

Thank you both so much for your advice.

We will do as you suggest Michele:

Calenzana - Refuge de l'Ortu (one etape)
Refuge de l'Ortu - Refuge Haut Asco (two etapes)
Refuge Haut Asco - Tighjettu (one etape)
Tighjettu - Refuge de Manganu (shortcut via Bocca Foggiale)
Refuge de Manganu - Vizzavona (two etapes)

We do want to enjoy it and to take in the beautiful views after all!

Thank you again

--

Emerald

SQFP

Posted: Tue, Jul 7, 2020, 14:40

If after beautiful views and the weather is fine, don't miss Ciuttulu di i Mori where the GR20 offers a panoramic lookout over the Gulf of Portu.

--

Geologist in Corsica

Emerald

Posted: Wed, Aug 5, 2020, 17:47

Hi @Michele

Our map has arrived and it doesn't show the shortcut route from Bocca Foggiale to Manganu.

Is it signposted and easy to follow?

Or does anyone have any details of where you turn off the GR20 and where you come back on to it?

Many thanks for your help in this matter!

Emerald

--

Emerald

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Aug 5, 2020, 19:05

Hello....the path from the Bocca di Foggiale is shown on the 1:25,000 map.
Both times in the area I have gone to the Refuge...coffee... and from the North took the easier angled main trail down to get to Vergio. When coming form the South I took the direct path to the Refuge....my coffee stop place. I can be sure S-N that I could see the path to my right side heading for the Bocca.
In total this stage is a grand section....varied and interesting especially under the Paglia Orba.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Aug 5, 2020, 19:11

Just had a wee look at my 1:50,000 map....at that time you had to have two ..a N and a S map..to get all of the GR20 route in on that scale.
Only the main path is shown.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Wed, Aug 5, 2020, 19:31

Our map has arrived and it doesn't show the shortcut route from Bocca Foggiale to Manganu.

@Emerald,

Please take a look at the following pic: https://ibb.co/0yzbZ6t

Athough there are some sheperds' trails, you won't find any waymarks. But the route is pretty simple because you basically want to go down the valley freely (the terrain is easy), to rejoin the official route further down.

--Michele

Emerald

Posted: Thu, Aug 6, 2020, 8:23

@Michele

Ah fantastic. Thank you once again.

I can see it on our map now too!

--

Emerald