Sleeping mats

Julija_v

Posted: Wed, Jul 29, 2020, 21:31

Hi everyone,

Surely this has already been asked and discussed.. :))
So, my apologies in case if question is repeated.
I’m going to North Section in the end of august. I’ve booked tent at the park (4 nights: Ortu di Piobbu, Carrozu, Manganu, Petra Pianna). The rest will be hostels.
I have: sleeping bag (down) with comfort temp +3 and inflatable sleeping mat (small, light).
I’ve spent 1 night in 2018 in L’Onda in small tent for 2 person. It was really small but it was quite warm and there was some mat in the tent.
This year I planned separate tent for each of us. But having tried my sleeping belongings here (in Latvia) with night temperature 10-15 degrees, I noticed that I was cold.
Friends-experts say it’s due to sleeping mag (inflattable) and advised to take another one (with foam) - larger and heavier. On the other hand I think, thar if all rented tents in the park of GR20 are already equiped with the map, then I’d rather take some small microfibra bag to pur inside my sleeping bag..
What would you advise? I’m trying to keep minimal weight, but still am a bit afraid of getting cold.. especially, sleeping alone in tent.

Kind regards,
Julija

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jul 30, 2020, 7:58

Julija,

The temperatures on the GR20 are unpredictable and in case of storms it can get real cold. To stay on the safe side I always bring a warm sleeping bag (0°C comfort - that for some people might be overkill, but in my case is just fine). In my opinion you should do the same and upgrade to a warmer sleeping bag.

Michele

Julija_v

Posted: Thu, Jul 30, 2020, 13:46

Yes, but what about matresses?
My friends who used to go a lot say, that warm is getting lost through inflatable mats (I have such), if the these mats are placed on the ground (i/e no foam mat in tent).. So my question is if all rented tents on GR20 are equiped with mats?

As to sleeping bag, I’m considering taking Thermolite Travel bag (kind of liner).

Kind regards,
Julija

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jul 30, 2020, 14:20

As far as I know all park tents are equipped with self-inflatable mats.

Julija_v

Posted: Thu, Jul 30, 2020, 18:06

Thank you, Michele!

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Jul 30, 2020, 20:17

The mattresses in the park tents are usually comfortable, but sometimes they get dirty and damp. It's worth taking the mattress out of the tent, clean the dirt off it, then place it in a sunny place to get rid of any damp. Clean the tent floor while you are waiting. It will probably have stones, grit and bits of litter hidden beneath the mattress.

Julija_v

Posted: Fri, Jul 31, 2020, 6:48

Thanks a lot for your advice, we’ll follow it!

Regards,
Julija