camp in the wild

jis

Posted: Tue, Aug 23, 2011, 23:47

I heard that you can get a € 500 fine if you camp wild. What if you are caught in a storm? Can you camp in the wild then? I would make camp if I feel overtaken by a storm...

BR Jis

Sebas

Posted: Wed, Aug 31, 2011, 9:56

You would have trouble finding a suitable place to pitch a tent.Except for the huts there is hardly any level ground. There are a few places where you could pitch a tent, but unless you know exactly where they are you are better off turning around if you get caught up in a storm.

AdventureJordan

Posted: Wed, Aug 31, 2011, 10:24

hello jis,

to be honest with you I did the trail this June/July, North - South and spent two nights camping in the wild by choice not due to bad weather and they were - by far - the best two nights I've spent along the GR20... away from the crowds of the refuges... the location of both nights was determined due to springs in the area in addition to flat/clear camping ground!

I must mention as well that I made an Australian friend along the trail who did the GR20 North - South, 15 days, and only spent three nights in refuges, the rest were camping in the wild :)

here are my recommendations to you, check out these two links to posts on this forum...

1) after Asco Stagnu on the way to the cirque de la solitude
corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/4512

2) between Refuge d'Usciolu and Refuge d'Asinau
corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/5057

all the best of luck to you, its an absolutely great hike...
enjoy!
Yamaan

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Sep 5, 2011, 19:36

Camping in the wild is only a problem if you get caught but as there are no rangers around when you're away from the refuges, who is going to stop you? Don't leave anything behind and you should be OK. I had to camp on the first night due to bad cramp and it was a fantastic night. There are lots of potential campsites too.

--

Alan