Memories of a trekker 2 - Return to the island (my documentary-film on the GR20 South)

Michele

Posted: Tue, Sep 20, 2011, 7:00

Ok everybody, this is it.

This is the logical (and apparently anticipated - really?) sequel to my previous video (on the GR20 north) and describes - of course - my experience on the GR20 south. It's a 57 minute film. Hope you can manage it :)))

vimeo.com/29148378

Like the previous one it was shot with a pocket cam but with all the best intentions. So please bear with me if it's not perfect.

Hope you enjoy.

--Michele

Ps
To avoid any visualization hitches, especially if you have a slow internet connection, it's recommended to let the video buffer (load for a couple of minutes) on your computer before watching it.

@Marek
If you like it, feel free to add it to the GR20 page. Thanks

dinny

Posted: Wed, Sep 21, 2011, 11:11

Hey again Michele,
My second attempt to watch your long anticipated (yes, really anticipated!) film took me 9 minutes in before my internet conection failed...sigh!
Michele, its SO GOOD!
By every right I should be grumpy today, but those 9 minutes have brought the biggest grin to my face, and Rosarita Beach Cafe will be my internal soundtrack until I am home again to tustle with the internet for the rest of your film.
Long may you run...
Dinny

Jennka

Posted: Wed, Sep 21, 2011, 15:49

Having watched only the first few minutes: Love it love it love it!
Tonight I have planned a full hour watching the rest of it. Can't wait...

Michele

Posted: Wed, Sep 21, 2011, 22:06

Thanks for the initial feedback, Dinny and Jennka. Hope you enjoy the rest as well :)

dinny

Posted: Wed, Sep 21, 2011, 22:13

oh Michele,

I watched it all earlier this evening and have been thinking about the trail....
Your wonderful film reminded me how sad I was at Conca that it was all behind me.
I wish we could've met up on the trail - what a shame I missed you by a week.
If you come to the UK to visit your new friends, please do get in touch and I'll meet up to share a hike!

Dinny

Michele

Posted: Thu, Sep 22, 2011, 13:36

Thank you so much Dinny. Should I come to the UK I'll surely get in touch :)

--Michele

Jennka

Posted: Thu, Sep 22, 2011, 16:31

Well done Michele! Amazing, funny, beautiful and moving... again. Also a little jealous, because of the lovely and sunny weather you had (as we had pooring rain and fog last year, between Asinao and Col de Verde). Great views from Renoso, by the way. Thanks for sharing!

Grazie

Jennka.

Michele

Posted: Thu, Sep 22, 2011, 18:18

Thanks Jennka for your kind words :) I'm happy you liked it.
PS
Yes I can say we've been very lucky both last year and this one. Not a drop of rain or cloud cover.

--Michele

dinny

Posted: Sun, Sep 25, 2011, 16:43

Hey Michele,
I had a free evening yesterday, had borrowed a DVD of 'True Grit'...but instead watched 'Memoires of a Trekker: The Hero Returns' ...again! I had a lovely hour, being reminded of my adventure, and spotting the places where I pitched my tent (or unrolled my sleeping mat). Your film has compounded my regret at not taking the Alpine varient on the second to last day (I thought my head was going to melt in the heat hiking up a mountain the previous day, and had promised myself the shady lower varient)...but it'll still be there should I ever go back.
Best wishes for many adventures to come,
Dinny

Michele

Posted: Mon, Sep 26, 2011, 6:33

Thank you again, Dinny.
The Alpine Variant is really something, but I think it scares most people off (not your case) because it's presented with the word "Alpine". I really loved that area AND the Paliri campsite (number one for its position and views) along with its surrounding places.

But I can understand your choice: the heat was scorching, so I don't blame you if you took the shady section ;)

Best wishes to you as well
--Michele

dinny

Posted: Mon, Sep 26, 2011, 8:08

Hey Michele,
I agree - the Paliri campsite was my favourite os the South, and probably of the whole route. It was a real gem, not least because it exceded the guide book description...I forget which guide book I was reading...might have been 'How to be knackered and still look cool' ;-)
Dinny

Michele

Posted: Mon, Sep 26, 2011, 13:59

Dinny,
Yeah, that's a very hard to find book. But very instructive. Lucky you got yourself one. LOL LOL LOL :)
I heard that Paddy Dillon was looking for it as well, but to no avail :))))))

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Sep 26, 2011, 17:56

Many thanks for the viewing of both videos Michele....very enjoyable and at one point a very Scottish flavour with the Skye boat song!!
My wife and I went to Corse for the GR20 four years ago and have returned subsequently to do the other five listed GR's on the island but there is nothing to quite compare with the Jairvan. This time, well last week, after 'doing the MM Centre' we reached Zonza to return to the Bavella alpine variant, as you say an incredibly beautifull area, and later to gain the high ground on Monte Renosa for the magnificent views to be had from the summit area. You can't quite ever get these mountains out of your system.
How do we get a copy of these videos?
Many thanks.
Roger.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Mon, Sep 26, 2011, 20:49

Hi Roger,

Thanks so much for your appreciation. I'm glad you liked the videos. And yes, you're quite right, Corsica is really addictive :)

You can easily download the original files by registering on vimeo (it's free) and once you get on the video page, on the lower right under the "About this video" you can right click the "Download this video" link and choose "save as ..." (or simply clicking on it). Be patient because the files are big.

--Michele

dinny

Posted: Sat, Oct 1, 2011, 14:00

Hey Michele,

Its good to know there's a way to copy your films onto a disc - I shall certainly do that.

The weather here in England has been freakishly good lately, so I tried to re-live my GR20 South nights by sleeping out in the garden - though the skies have been beautufully clear and starry they don't feel as close to heaven as the night sky of the Corsican mountains...

I think your films have made me miss Corsica all the more!
Thanks to my training program, I'm still taking cold showers :-O

Paddy Dillon doesn't need to look cool - he just IS cool by virtue of writing the 'regular' Ciceron guide to the GR20!

Best wishes to you,
Dinny

Michele

Posted: Mon, Oct 3, 2011, 6:29

Hey Dinny,

Yeah, the weather has been incredibly good here as well (and hot, at my latitude - I keep camping out regularly on my weekends on the mountains). I guess it must have been fair also in Corsica these days. Good for the folks who have been walking in September.

Although late in the summer there must have been an occurrence of increased gastroenteritis cases, given the somewhat cryptic note on the park page (dated 25 August) encouraging people to treat the water (well, well, well, what do you know? :) )

Ps
When I mentioned P.D. I was actually thinking about the note on the book's back cover ;)

Cheers

--Michele

samchn07

Posted: Fri, Dec 16, 2011, 14:32

yes , it's indeed a nice movie for your recommendation ! and kept in my favorite list!

Michele

Posted: Mon, Dec 19, 2011, 7:09

Thanks Sam! :)

Joanna

Posted: Thu, Dec 22, 2011, 7:53

Michele, I've just started to watch your movie (still have 50 % to go, but it's really nice, if a bit long...). I was really scared because of the heat and the crowds - we did the northern part in the beginning of June, and it was much less crowded, looks like 2 weeks time make a big difference on amount of people hiking and the temperature... Next year we want to go back to do the southern part, and since my work keeps me home until June, 8th, I guess I'll have to put up with the heat and the crowds as well...

I asked this question over and over on different forums, without getting a definite answer, but maybe you who walked just 6 months ago, can answer it once and for all - do you have to book camping spaces (i.e. spaces to put up my own tent) in advance, or can you just turn up and camp?

dinny

Posted: Fri, Dec 23, 2011, 18:18

Hi Joanna,

I returned to hike the GR20 Southern section this year, having walked the Northern section early September last year. This year I was on the GR20 in the second half of June, and found the trail and 4/7 of the refuge camp areas not too over-crowded (I either camped or slept in the open air every night.)

I HADN'T pre-booked any refuges, but that wasn't a problem with the guardiens at all. Mind you, it wasn't always easy to find a piece of land big enough and flat enough to pitch a tent, but I think that problem would be the same whether I'd pre-booked or not. My advice would be to check through previous posts, watch Michelle's film, and find alternative options to the more crowded/less friendly refuges.

Wishing you loads of fun on the trail, and with your training,
Dinny

Michele

Posted: Sat, Dec 24, 2011, 22:48

Hi Joanna,

So far nobody has enforced the mandatory booking system and - like Dinny - I too did not pre-book any camping spaces. However, in my experience, I must admit that I had no problems (in finding a suitable level spot) only in Prati and in Paliri. All the other camping sites were fairly crowded (especially if you are not a racer and don't arrive too early); so finding a decent spot has always been a struggle, kind of (or just sheer luck). And I think things in the future can only get worse.
So if you want to bring your own tent you have to be prepared for such a situation. Or, maybe book the park tents in advance (with all the problems that this means if you're delayed for some reason).

Best luck with your GR20. I wish you a sunny (but not too hot) trek.

--Michele

PS
Sorry if you found my video(s) "a bit long" :)))

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Mar 22, 2012, 8:55

Michele

A great film and enough to inspire a return visit next year, like you, to finish what we started.

We only got as far as the Lac de Capitella as we only had a week and will only have another week next year because the EasyJet flights from the UK are all on a Sunday (when public transport options are very limited - thank you EasyJet!).

Anyway, thanks very much for making the film. I must have a go at doing one of my own.

Alan

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Fri, Mar 23, 2012, 7:29

Thanks for your comments, Alan!
Definitely it's a trek that must be done in its entirety. So by all means you must go back!! Can't you figure out different travel arrangements from the UK? I know some prefer to fly to Nice and take the boat instead of flying directly to Corsica. Too bad if you only have one week, though :(
Have a nice trip ... and ... please do shoot some footage :) You won't regret it ;) Videos bring back memories in a way that pictures can't.

--Michele

Turnertactics

Posted: Fri, Mar 23, 2012, 8:31

Fly to Nice? I'll look into that.

A pocket cam is on order too!

I'll try it out in the Atlas Mountains in 3 weeks time.

Thanks.

--

Alan

Turnertactics

Posted: Fri, Mar 23, 2012, 14:08

Thanks for the tip Michele. I can fly to Marseille, get an overnight ferry to Bastia with a cabin, finish the whole route and go back the same way AND save myself about 140 Euro's. Outstanding!

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Fri, Mar 23, 2012, 16:11

Great!
Here is a tip for the camcorder you want to buy. Before doing so, make sure it has the E.I.S. (electronic image stabilization) or your shootings will all come out wobbly ;)

--Michele

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Mar 29, 2012, 6:21

It has!

I've adapted a walking pole to use as a mono pod as well.

I drilled a hole in the top and glued the stub of a bolt into it. It works really well.

What editing programe did you use?

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Thu, Mar 29, 2012, 8:10

Alan,

When I started I used Windows Movie Maker, but now I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5 (it requires a 64bit computer).

--Michele