Mare a Mare Centre
The Mare a Mare Centre is a 7 day hike from Ghisonacia on the eastern coast through the heart of Corsica to Porticio (near Ajaccio) on the western coast. You can walk in both directions, though most guide books recommend going westwards. The trail is passable from April to November and because it's mostly shady, it's fine even in hot summer. Each of its seven stages take 3 to 7 hours, the highest point is Col de Laparo (Bocca di Laparo) at 1525 m.
Mare a Mare Centre map
The marked places are either larger villages (or towns) or places where overnight accommodation is possible. An altitude in metres is given at every marked place. Note the crossing of the Mare a Mare Centre with GR 20 (the grey line) at Col de Laparo. You can also combine the Mare a Mare Centre with the Mare e Monti Sud (another grey line), because they both end in Porticcio.
- Serra di Fiumorbu (457 m)
- Col de Juva (866 m)
- Catastajo (560 m)
- Col de Laparo (1525 m)
- Cozzano (730 m)
- Sampolo (590 m)
- Giovicacce (590 m)
- Tasso (644 m)
- Guitera les Bains (620 m)
- Frasseto (765 m)
- Quasquara (657 m)
- Col Saint-Georges (564 m)
Note: For the best online map of Corsica go to G?©oPortail.fr, click on "Corse" on its home page, then select "Carte" left of the map and zoom to the ratio scale of at least 1:13000, where major hiking trails are mapped in purple and even contour lines are displayed.
- Ghisonaccia - Serra di Fium'Orbu (3h)
- Serra di Fium'Orbu - Catastaghju (4h)
- Catastaghju - Cozzano (6h30)
- Cozzano - Guitera (4h30)
- Guitera - Quasquara (4h30)
- Quasquara - Col St Georges (6h)
- Col St Georges - Porticcio (5h30)
Getting there and out
Ghisonaccia is located on the bus route Porto Vecchio - Bastia and another bus goes to Ghisonaccia from Corte. You can go to Porto Vecchio or Bastia by ferry from Italy or to the Poretta airport (near Bastia) by air.
Highlights of the trail
- View over the Fiumorbu plain from the fringe of the Serra di Fium'Orbu village.
- Swimming in crystal clear water of the Abatescu river at Catastaju.
Additional resources on the Mare a Mare Centre trail
- Mare a Mare Centre on Corsica-hiking.com - a detailed description of all seven stages and a photo gallery of the trail.
- Mare A Mare Centre: A 7 day hike across Corsica - a travel report by Art Simon with photos and detailed maps of individual stages.
- The trail is described in detail in the Lonely Planet Corsica Guide (probably out of print).
Last modified on Sun, 2013-04-28 17:58